Silkie Porcelain Isabelle breeding question Gurus needed :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Nov 19, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok so Porcelain Isabelle roo with:

PI pullet = PI chicks
    Lav Pullet = lav chicks
    Buff pullet =??
    Buff/lav split pullet= ???

Other than lavenders and PI I cant figure out what to put in this pen [​IMG] I have lots of other colors so any suggestions are welcome [​IMG]

I am having a hard time with the calculator and figuring out how to decide what buff etc.. can anyone simplify my 2 ? for me

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    PM Sonoran Silkies. She is the expert on that. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Lavender is recessive, so to have a lavender or porcelain isabel the bird must carry two copies of lav.

Assuming that there are no unknown copies of lav in the bird, pairing a lavender to a buff is the same as breeding a black to a buff, except that all the offspring will be split for lav. If the lavender is also blue or splash, change my statement about breeding a black to breeding a blue or splash.

Change the lavender above to an isabel porcelain and it is like breeding a buff to a buff, except that all the offspring will be split for lav.

If the buff is split for lav, then half the offspring should be isabel porcelain and the other half buff split for lav.

The amount of black feathering in the buff and lavender feathering in the porcelain will determine the amount of lavender feathering in the offspring. Or to say it more concisely, lav dilutes black in the feathers to lavender and buff to isabel.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    BTW, much better to email than to PM me--my PM mailbox is full.

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    so really it is better to put the buffs with the lavender roo and then the splits that are pullets with the PI roo?

so this is how I was thinking my pens could go:

PI roo with PI hen and 2 lav hens = lav and pi only

Lav roo with 2 buffs, i lav hen, black hen blk sg = lavs, and various lav splits

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  7. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Hey Sonoran, would Splash pullets with gold (buff) in them (all over) be good for a Porcelain project? Or better for Partridge? [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not really either. Calico perhaps [​IMG]

9. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Hmmm, weird. George told me they would be good for a Porcelain project, and someone else said Partridge. I am clueless. Are they just culls then? [​IMG]

10. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Sonoran already gave you good advice, so here's some pics of some of my porcelain babies I hatched a few months ago:
    5 week old:
    [​IMG]

4 week old:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by