Silkie question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovinthechickens, Feb 21, 2009.

1. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    would a silkie make a safe addition to my flock? i have dominiques, RIRs, GSLs, EEs, and a Buff orpington...

2. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    Silkes are very gentile and can't see too well. They are suseptible to bulling. Rirs can be aggressive.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    The size difference would scare me. Do you have hens and roos? You wouldn't want a big old roo trying to mate with a silkie hen. I have many silkies but they all live with chickens there own size. Also they could bully the silkie and kill it. I would start myself another coop if I wanted silkies. They are awesome birds.

4. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    I have two silkies and I adore them. Maybe they are some sort of anomaly, but my heavy birds are a bit intimidated by the "Ninja Twins" Kung & Pow.

With the family, they are very sweet. I have white silkies and they remind me of Woodstock from Peanuts-they sound like Woodstock, and they are very docile.

5. urbanhatch

urbanhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
    I have a pair of Silkies and they are super friendly. You are right about that. They love to be hand fed, which I do not do everyday but they would love that.

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    If you do decide to get silkies, I would advise that you get at least two. They tend to stick together and it would be less stressful on them to not be introduced to the rest of the flock alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by