Silkie /satin Breeding question

sarahup

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2020
I am just starting out hatching my own silkies, so far I'm just doing b/b/s and have them in a separate pen which is going well. I have a couple questions. One I think I already know the answer to, (yes?), which is:
Can I put my "lavender" silkie hen in the B/B/S group? I was told lavender breeds as black when not bred to lavender so just want to make sure that's true.

I also have a Red Pyle hen, what can she breed with (I know definitely not B/B/S)/what breeding group would i have to create to breed her?

The silkies mentioned above are all great quality so I'm hoping for the best with them. But my last question is... Can I do anything with this satin boy (pictured, not full grown)? Not sure what his coloring is called, or how satin/smooth feather genetics work at all. He was bought as a "pet" (we call him Heart Boy since he has little hearts on his chest). He has a single comb, which I know is a fault, so should he never be bred anyway? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

Attachments

• roo.jpg
    roo.jpg
    830.2 KB · Views: 112
Lavender needs to breed to lavender to make more lavenders, so putting one in your BBS pen isn’t ideal if you’re trying to breed lavender (you would need a whole separate colour pen for that one). I believe the lavender gene can be carried by black, but that chicken would only have one copy of the gene, and it would not be visually lavender without two copies. It could however produce a percentage of lavender offspring if bred to a true lavender.

I’m not super familiar with red pyle, I just recently had one pop up in my blue partridge Brahmas (both parents were blue partridge, and the red pyle chick is the equivalent of a splash with that crossing) so I can’t help much with that one, other than I know you probably shouldn’t mix red into your BBS and definitely not into your lavenders, because it could muddy the colours and cause red leakage. I’m taking a guess and saying it would probably be best paired with partridge, or other red pyles.

Your boy looks like he may be a moorhead silver partridge. Because he’s smooth/satin, depending on what generation he is, you should end up with roughly 50% Silkie and 50% smooth chicks if he is bred to a Silkie hen. You could breed him for fun, just to see what comes out of the crossing, but if you’re looking at getting into breeding seriously, and working towards the standard of perfection, then I wouldn’t use him seriously in your breeding program.

Hope this helped a little 😊

I have these 2 satins. Black is male and white is female. What ideas can I do with them?
It works better here if you start a new thread for your question, instead of replying to an old thread.

Obvious thing you can do with them: hatch some eggs and see what you get! I think black satin chicks are most likely, but you might get other colors, and you might get some with silkie feathers (depending on what recessive genes your birds have.)

It works better here if you start a new thread for your question, instead of replying to an old thread.

Obvious thing you can do with them: hatch some eggs and see what you get! I think black satin chicks are most likely, but you might get other colors, and you might get some with silkie feathers (depending on what recessive genes your birds have.)
Oh that's kewl. Thank you so much for ur help

Back
Top Bottom