silkie sexing

Can you help me sex my almost 8 week old partridge Silkie?
I've tried before , but mostly got "too young to tell" answers. I'd love to know and I hope "she's" a pullet.
"She's" almost 8 weeks and I thought I might give an up date.
"Her" crest isn't looking so swept back and I think "she's" looking more like a girl, but we'll see what you guys think.

In the pics her crest looks swept back still, but I took these pics a few days ago and "her" crest is getting fluffier.

Can you help me sex my almost 8 week old partridge Silkie?
I've tried before , but mostly got "too young to tell" answers. I'd love to know and I hope "she's" a pullet.
"She's" almost 8 weeks and I thought I might give an up date.
"Her" crest isn't looking so swept back and I think "she's" looking more like a girl, but we'll see what you guys think.

In the pics her crest looks swept back still, but I took these pics a few days ago and "her" crest is getting fluffier.

Silkies is one of the hardest to sex to me. I have some thats 4 months old and still dont know what they are...lol Good Luck

I believe the one that is close to the camera is a rooster because he is bigger and has more feathering on top of his head and it is spiked out. The other in the back is more shy,smaller and doesn't have as much feathering up top,anyone ? They are a few months old now. Will try for better pics

anyone ??/ the one up close has a bigger waddle/comb also

I wanted to ask, in reference to the red coloring on the partridge do the red copper/splashy color rules apply to silkies when sexing them? Honestly the crest of the bird in question looks pullety (still young tho) and I guessed roo because of the colors. Any silkie color/genetic experts care to weigh in?
Hi Ashtree,

I was wondering about the same thing (as I watch with horror beautiful red feathers growing on my partridge silkie "pullet" wings
ep.gif
).
I found this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/727347/my-sexing-article in regards to the wing coloring and it clearly states: "Sex linked colour in wings. Deep red. Doesn't matter the breed - always a boy"
Now I can only hope for my white "pullet" to have just 'accidentally' ended up with a slightly too big comb and male swept back 'haircut'....
hmm.png

I won't give up yet, however am not sure how much longer I can convince myself that they might still miraculously turn out to be pullets.
This is them, two days ago what do you think?

This is 'him' this picture does not really show the red but it is becoming more obvious every day now
sad.png

I am sure he will be a beautiful rooster and I'd love to keep him, unfortunately we are not allowed to keep rooster here in the suburbs...

Can you help me sex my almost 8 week old partridge Silkie? [COLOR=333333] I've tried before , but mostly got "too young to tell" answers. I'd love to know and I hope "she's" a pullet.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] "She's" almost 8 weeks and I thought I might give an up date.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]"Her" crest isn't looking so swept back and I think "she's" looking more like a girl, but we'll see what you guys think.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]In the pics her crest looks swept back still, but I took these pics a few days ago and "her" crest is getting fluffier.[/COLOR]
She looks like a pullet to me. :) Reminds me of my ill' partridge when she was young. The coloring is feminine and all her feathers seem short and pullet-like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom