silkie sexing

The last one
[/IMG]

The next one

First one looks like it might be starting to get streamers and the comb is a little bigger so I'd say possibly cockerel on that one. The second one is still hard to tell, but the comb looks pretty small still so could be a pullet. The third one I'm leaning towards a pullet. Smaller comb and the crest is pretty much sticking up and not jetting back.
So hard to tell with these silkies!!! I went back in forth with my white silkie hen until she finally laid an egg! Although I pretty much was thinking female by about 8 weeks just by her demeanor. If there are ones that challenge one another and chest bump or stand up real tall to another one then those ones tend to be males. The more docile sometimes skittish ones when they're young tend to be females. This is not always true of course, but it's what I've generally seen in my chicks.

Here here are a few of my babies... They're about 7 weeks old, maybe 8... Any guesses on gender? I personally think I have 2 roos and 2 hens. :( I want at leasg 3 hens. Anyway, what are y'alls thoughts?

#1 (white silkie. If a girl, then her name is Sugar):

#2:(No name. This one is a paint):

#3: (white silkie named Marshmallow):

4: (Pepper. A paint silkie):

All of them a week or so ago:

Last edited:
Here here are a few of my babies... They're about 7 weeks old, maybe 8... Any guesses on gender? I personally think I have 2 roos and 2 hens. :( I want at leasg 3 hens. Anyway, what are y'alls thoughts?

#1 (white silkie. If a girl, then her name is Sugar):

#2:(No name. This one is a paint):

#3: (white silkie named Marshmallow):

4: (Pepper. A paint silkie):

All of them a week or so ago:

Hard to say. You may be right. But #2's crest doesn't seem to sweep back as much as #1's and that seems pulletish to me. Some photos of them standing would also be helpful.

Alright, new silkie mama here! I've been doing some research and i have some guesses on my babies so I'd love to hear what more experienced chicken parents have to say. They are five weeks old today. Each chick has its own line so there's two chicks per photo, two photos of one on the top, two photos of another on the bottom.

ETA: I guess i should post my guesses.

Girl
Girl
Boy - River definitely acts like our alpha roo
Girl
Boy
Boy (?) Maggie is proving to be difficult!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom