Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

yup. Just gotta catch her.

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Are these your first silkies? You will love having them!! Is that ET in your avatar?? [​IMG]

3. peepblessed

Looks grey!

4. peepblessed

I have gotten shipped eggs from this lady in Madera, CA. http://debsbirds.com/ It would be a short trip for them and they are excellent quality. I had a great hatch from my one ebay purchase and zero from another.

5. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Yep first silkies [​IMG] LOL not quite ET but close, I seem to have a soft spot for hairless animals, one of my dogs is hairless too and the closest thing to a naked chicken I could find was the turken so I got 4 pullets[​IMG]

6. BackyardBreeder

BackyardBreeder Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    The one color I really want is buff. It would be nice to have B/B/S, Partridge and white.

7. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

These look very promising chicks peepblessed, but why you call them porcelain & lav ?
    You can see the dorsal stripes so they have the Partridge (eb/eb) groundcolor one based on gold and the other on Silver both have the double doses of lavender. the one with "cream" probably a male, the silverish probably a female. These are as "Porcelain" (gold and Silver) should show the one day pattern.
    [​IMG]

8. peepblessed

I don't know, Danny, but many of the lavender chicks here have strips. I have wondered why that is (I suspected there was some eb/eb and porcelain is a temporary name for a project color here in the US. I think there hasn't been agreement on what to call the color. This is a color made by breeding lav to buff and back again to buff. Here is a picture of a mature girl and is the color I'm looking for. I am just enjoying the color and will let others decide what to call it! :D The lav chick was definitely born with a gold cast and will work out great in my "porcelain" pen. :D
    This girl belongs to the breeder I got the eggs from.
    [​IMG]

9. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice type of hen. The coloration should have more gray-pearl instead of whitish in my opinion. This hen is a wheaten based (eWh/eWh) which not have much black-pigment and therefor less gray-pearl.

This is a eWh chick
    [​IMG]

This is a eb chick :
    [​IMG]

You can see the eWh have less dorsal stripes than the eb.
    The eWh have also less black than the eb.

10. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by