Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I think she breeds for double dose of lav but if you get eggs from a project pen you could end up with one dose. I have two 8 wks old. I will post pictures as soon as I take some. Here they are as babies and also at 6 wks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The one on the left is obviously a male. Has some red in it's comb already.
    [​IMG]
    The male has lost almost all of the creme color now and looks more like a splash. Fun to see what happens!

2. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

BarnGoddes look what I wrote in your picture. This chick not show the lav/lav dilution because the black-pigment is not diluted to gray-pearl and the red-pigment is not diluted to cream.
    Seeing the chick on day pattern and now on 7 weeks I should say it is a Bl/Bl on a wheaten or/and partridge groundcolor.

Both Blue and lavender are diluters, Blue is Dominant so it expres with 1 doses (Bl/bl+) and that is called Blue with 2 doses (Bl/Bl) it's called Splash. Lavender is recessive so this can only express in double doses (lav/lav).
    Blue dilute only black-pigment and change nothing to the red-pigment. Lavender dilute black- and red-pigment at the same time.

"Porcelain" is a hobbyname which is originally used for a millefleur pattern (mottled), in Italy they use the hobbyname "Porcellane" for a lavender millefleur pattern, this is a triocolor (white/black/gold) dilute by the gene lavender (lav/lav) into white/graypearl/cream. I suppose the confusion for the hobbyname comes from there.
    You can call your chick "Porcelain" but genetically seen its a duocolor Splash.
    The chick of Peepblesses can also be called "Porcelain" but geneticaaly seen its duocolor lavender.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  3. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri

He's a keeper!

4. peepblessed

This chick is a really neat color! It reminds me of Jessy's "Sherbert"!

5. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I have naked rats!

6. peepblessed

Have you seen the silkie "Showgirls"?

7. TheIvoryKitty

TheIvoryKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Central California
    Welp, thought I'd share an angry silkie, because I've sure never seen her this way before!!! (She's broody and I locked her out of the hen house - Mwahahahahaha! [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

Showing us that if you remove a broody hen from her nest box, you are no longer friends. 0.0

8. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Haha she looks pretty mad. You should let her set a couple eggs.

9. peepblessed

Hahaha!! [​IMG]

10. TheIvoryKitty

TheIvoryKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Central California
    Heck no! I don't want any more chickens than I've got! lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by