Silkie thread!

We had a near miss today. My son's cat "Pinky" is my Hero! I had just pulled a bunch of onions from the garden, and headed in the house to call my neighbor to see if she wanted some. The chicks were happily playing in their pen outside. One of my sons ran in and told me that a hawk landed and tried to get the chicks and Pinky saved them and jumped on the hawk and chased it away!!! She is only about 9 month old. I wish I could have seen that. (these pictures are from a week or 2 ago of Pinky watching the chicks)

Love you Pinky!!!
Way to go, Pinky!!!!
clap.gif

Yay pinky!!!

I had 2 silkies, a buff silkie (hen) and a blue partridge (roo). We rescued them. They had all sorts of bugs,and all sorts of problems. A week later, the buff died. About a week ago, the blue partridge died :(. Oh, their names were Ray(Buff) & Doe (blue partridge)

Last edited:
I'm excited that last night was the FIRST night my 8 silkies got in the coop by themselves. We were out later than usual for 4th of July celebrations. It was nice to go out to the pen and just lock up for once!
thumbsup.gif

Oh and just a bit of advice for other silkie owners....Don't wear flip-flops and red toe nail polish in the silkie pen.
barnie.gif
They always swarm around me, but the pecking and biting was a little too much!

Here are some of my sweeties devouring frozen vegetables:

Last edited:
I'm excited that last night was the FIRST night my 8 silkies got in the coop by themselves. We were out later than usual for 4th of July celebrations. It was nice to go out to the pen and just lock up for once!
thumbsup.gif

Oh and just a bit of advice for other silkie owners....Don't wear flip-flops and red toe nail polish in the silkie pen.
barnie.gif

Fozen veggies.........never thought of that. I see them on clearance sale prices from time to time. Thanks for the idea.

Fozen veggies.........never thought of that. I see them on clearance sale prices from time to time. Thanks for the idea.
Let them thaw awhile or run them under cool water before giving them to your chickens. Otherwise, it is like little ice cubes and they literally shake their heads like, "Brrr, what was that I just swallowed?"

If you want your sweet silkies to become ferocious raptors, just give them a few watermelon rinds. Ours LOVE watermelon rinds (well, one prefers fresh figs) but I have to wash all their faces afterwards.
love.gif
They're worth it though!

One of my adorable white babies right after he hatched yesterday.
love.gif
I have seven babies right now. All these hatched on day 20 so I am not sure if any more will come today or tomorrow. Thoughts ???

I just can't stand the cuteness!!
jumpy.gif
I love his hair-do.

thumbsup.gif

barnie.gif

Your babies are just beautiful!!!!

I'm so sorry! I checked out the predator forum and it seems my culprit is also a raccoon. If it comes back I'm ready for it.
Thanks and same here, we got a trap today. There are so many predators around here, I'm glad we haven't had any more problems.

So sorry about your pullet. If a raccoon gets in your chicken pen they kill everything. The worst preditor by far.
Thanks, I'm glad it didn't get anything else.

By the way we were out watching fire works and were late getting back to put them up and that's how the raccoon got her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom