Silkie thread!

Last weekend I bought some new chicks, including 2 white silkies. I was told they were around 12 weeks old, he thought they were both female, but I've also been told they look male. (I'm fine with either sex really) Would like opinions from the silkie experts! (I know they aren't SQ, just pets) Thoughts appreciated, or tell me what else to look for that can't be seen from these photos. Thanks!

This is un-named #1...

This is #2 - "Gabe" (I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!) (or maybe it will be Gabby haha)

Another of Gabe

I don't see anything that would make me say that either of them were definitely cockerels. And Gabe definitely looks pretty girly to me.

Thank you for that info. The parents are from the same farm but said not to be closely related. I could see how they could be though. What should I do with the 6 toed? Would it likely be passed on if I breed them to birds from a definite different family? If am to sell them are they worth anything like on Craigslist? Are these considered pet quality?

Last weekend I bought some new chicks, including 2 white silkies. I was told they were around 12 weeks old, he thought they were both female, but I've also been told they look male. (I'm fine with either sex really) Would like opinions from the silkie experts! (I know they aren't SQ, just pets) Thoughts appreciated, or tell me what else to look for that can't be seen from these photos. Thanks!

This is un-named #1...

This is #2 - "Gabe" (I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!) (or maybe it will be Gabby haha)

Another of Gabe

They don't look very male to me yet either but silkies fool you all the time. I think they look like lovely pets. The first thing I notice is lack of much crest and hardly any leg feathering and no foot feathering. I also can't see turquois ear lobes but that could just be my poor eyesight. Their body shape is more oval than S Shape too. But none of these things matter if they are beloved pets. Enjoy them. They are cuties.

Hatched this little cutie yesterday. It has large black patches under both wings and down one hock. Straight comb, however.
1f614.png

Last edited:
I
I have a little hen that looks just about like her.  She came from "show" stock but really isn't very showy.  She makes THE MOST BEAUTIFUL babies.

I got her from a lady that was trying to get rid of her all her chickens. I had been looking for a silkie hen for awhile. I don't really care about show, but she's kinda hot mess right now. I pay special attention to my sweet Sugar. My other chickens pick on her so much and if I don't put her up at night she sleeps alone on the ground :( poor thing

They don't look very male to me yet either but silkies fool you all the time. I think they look like lovely pets. The first thing I notice is lack of much crest and hardly any leg feathering and no foot feathering. I also can't see turquois ear lobes but that could just be my poor eyesight. Their body shape is more oval than S Shape too. But none of these things matter if they are beloved pets. Enjoy them. They are cuties.

Yes they aren't feathering much on their legs and feet. And thank you for your tact.... I know they aren't show quality birds. As long as they are healthy, that's what matters to me. And yes their ear lobes are quite blue! What does that mean? Bad mix in the woodpile somewhere? Lol

Back
Top Bottom