Silkie thread!

This is going to seem like a stupid question I'm sure.... I'm getting my first silkie this spring from a local silkie farm. I'm curious what makes a silkie a "show quality silkie"? I'm wondering if my daughter would like to show the silkie in 4H. Are there certain colors that are more desirable or rare than others?

Last edited:
150 square feet of covered run. 50 square feet of open run. Guess where the best place to play is during a downpour?

This is going to seem like a stupid question I'm sure.... I'm getting my first silkie this spring from a local silkie farm. I'm curious what makes a silkie a "show quality silkie"? I'm wondering if my daughter would like to show the silkie in 4H. Are there certain colors that are more desirable or rare than others?

You will definitely be able to tell the difference between a show quality and pet quality. Me personally if I had to start over with a color of silkie, I would go along with the classic colors like white or black. Because there are so many pet quality silkies and the majority of them are either black or white from hatcheries it is good to work with bettering a color instead of getting into a designer color. But being a kid first getting into it, she will most likely want to go with a diverse and unpredictable color like partridge. She will also fall for sizzles too.

Omg! All these silkie chicks, even the bald one, are soooooooo cute. Some day some way I will have one. I will!
1f423.png

So glad you find the Silkies charming. If you someday get one, get more than one as they like to toodle around together. My two Silkie hens are very different personalities and not what I'd call the best buddies, yet they seem to often toodle around together. One Silkie alone is a sad sight.

Here is a question. About how big is your average hen and roo silkie? Mine are only about 8 weeks old and I am curious how much bigger then will get because right now they aren't very big.

Here is a question. About how big is your average hen and roo silkie? Mine are only about 8 weeks old and I am curious how much bigger then will get because right now they aren't very big.

Standard of Perfection for showing says

Cock 36 oz Cockerel 32 oz
Hen 32 oz Pullet 28 oz

My 6.5 week olds are 9 oz-10.5 oz on the known females and 10.5 oz to 12.5 oz on the guessing males.

Just a note for my experiment,

The two giant chicks from my way too big rooster are at 14.5 oz and 15 oz. I'm sure one is male, the slightly smaller one I'm not positive on.

Picture tonight after some taming time. I can't wait until the weather is good and she's older. Will take very nice pictures.

Standard of Perfection for showing says

Cock 36 oz Cockerel 32 oz
Hen 32 oz Pullet 28 oz

My 6.5 week olds are 9 oz-10.5 oz on the known females and 10.5 oz to 12.5 oz on the guessing males.

Just a note for my experiment,

The two giant chicks from my way too big rooster are at 14.5 oz and 15 oz. I'm sure one is male, the slightly smaller one I'm not positive on.

9-12 oz is about where mine are sitting now at 7-8 weeks old so I guess wow, they are a lot smaller than I thought they would be. o.o For some reason they all look so much bigger in everyone's pictures and video's.

Back
Top Bottom