Silkie thread!

Quote:
Sounds like great feed. I started taking 3 tbs. of fresh ground flaxseed daily about 6 months ago. It transformed my nails and hair and skin. It has been beneifical for several other things also. I feed it to all my animals!
thumbsup.gif

Say what??? Where do you buy the flax seed? Do you grind it? Then eat it?

Quote:
First thing that comes to mind is they are just "teenagers" scrawny and young. I feed a high protein level then most and it works out well for me. I do think a lot of chickens can be "loved" too much and end up sorta fat as well. LOL cheapy way to boost the protein for me is to give them scrambled eggs once a week. Still you should maybe consider worming your flock once a year also check for mites
smile.png

No mites, and its only the silkies that are scrawny. Every one else is good feeling. I only noticed this because I had to put all the birds away by hand for 3 nights when they moved out of their little coops to the big coop. I was really tempted to put them back on a chick starter mixed with finisher. I can try the scrambled eggs tho might be a bit hard with 19 chickens... I think I might be able to pull them out of the group though and feed it to them. What percentage protien do you suggest though?

edited to add: I will worm them though since the big bad "W" is coming. Would rather have it done before that hits.

Last edited:
Colie <3 :

Quote:
Sounds like great feed. I started taking 3 tbs. of fresh ground flaxseed daily about 6 months ago. It transformed my nails and hair and skin. It has been beneifical for several other things also. I feed it to all my animals!
thumbsup.gif

Say what??? Where do you buy the flax seed? Do you grind it? Then eat it?​

Yes, I buy in the grocery store (I used to buy it on ebay but found it in the store) and grind it every few days in my coffee grinder and store it in the frig. It doesn't keep well ground. I stir it in my milk or mix with cereal.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed I'm thinking it's the fountain of youth!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
How old is she? Is she laying yet or coming to point of lay? Could she be eggbound??

She could be about to lay, how would I fix it?

Watery green droppings suggests that she is not eating. Even a broody has solid, dark and light droppings. She is ill and at this point you need to see if you can figure it out. It would also be important to get electrolytes in to her as has already been suggested. Use Pedialyte, they find that more palatable. Next is mixing up something that will tempt her to eat.

This just my opinion but I like mine birds on 20% at least for all ages. I pretty much keep them all on chick starter that is semi-locally made (Hi-Pro 21%) and give free choice oyster shell. I also usually grind up calf manna or show n' glo and add it to the feed (this depends on how lazy I'm feeling lol). Mainly I stick to calf manna because of the cost.

When they need a little extra boost because I think they are stressed out from something like weather, shipping, after being treated with medicine or what not I cut the chick starter crumbles with gamebird feed (30% also HiPro) at at a rate of 1 to 3 of the chick starter making it 24% for a week or two. I've read up on the viewpoint that too high protein is bad but honestly I do what works for me and my birds seem pretty healthy, happy and pretty with what I'm doing now.

Back
Top Bottom