Silkie thread!

we were talking about Pullorum/Typhoid testing and NPIP a few weeks back. I just recently had my birds tested. (all turned out clean!) I figured I would post pictures of the event. We had a clinic available for us to bring our birds to-- so it wasnt fun dragging a bunch of birds an hour away, but at least it got done and I have a certificate for now. Will be going for full NPIP soon! :)

The first thing they do is pull a few feathers from the INSIDE of the wing and then pat it a bit and find a good vein. Then they prick it to draw blood, use a tool that scoops up a bit of blood and then rub the blood on a sheet of glass where they drop in the serum that will check for the disease. The second thing they do is put a long swab down your chicken's throat and swab the throat. It's not very pleasant, but it's good to have it done. The testing must be renewed once a year.

Oh-- and I'm the person wearing that insanely bright orange shirt.
roll.png
LOL! (my son is in the dark blue shirt and the Vet is the guy in the purple shirt with the Wildcat ballcap-- a vet tech is next to him)

LL

Swabbing throat (BELOW)
LL

Looking for infection (BELOW)
LL

LL

So what happens if you don't pass?
we were talking about Pullorum/Typhoid testing and NPIP a few weeks back. I just recently had my birds tested. (all turned out clean!) I figured I would post pictures of the event. We had a clinic available for us to bring our birds to-- so it wasnt fun dragging a bunch of birds an hour away, but at least it got done and I have a certificate for now. Will be going for full NPIP soon! :)

The first thing they do is pull a few feathers from the INSIDE of the wing and then pat it a bit and find a good vein. Then they prick it to draw blood, use a tool that scoops up a bit of blood and then rub the blood on a sheet of glass where they drop in the serum that will check for the disease. The second thing they do is put a long swab down your chicken's throat and swab the throat. It's not very pleasant, but it's good to have it done. The testing must be renewed once a year.

roll.png
LOL! (my son is in the dark blue shirt and the Vet is the guy in the purple shirt with the Wildcat ballcap-- a vet tech is next to him)

LL

Swabbing throat (BELOW)
LL

LL

LL

we were talking about Pullorum/Typhoid testing and NPIP a few weeks back.  I just recently had my birds tested.  (all turned out clean!)  I figured I would post pictures of the event.  We had a clinic available for us to bring our birds to-- so it wasnt fun dragging a bunch of birds an hour away, but at least it got done and I have a certificate for now.  Will be going for full NPIP soon!  :)

The first thing they do is pull a few feathers from the INSIDE of the wing and then pat it a bit and find a good vein.  Then they prick it to draw blood, use a tool that scoops up a bit of blood and then rub the blood on a sheet of glass where they drop in the serum that will check for the disease.  The second thing they do is put a long swab down your chicken's throat and swab the throat.  It's not very pleasant, but it's good to have it done.  The testing must be renewed once a year.  

Oh-- and I'm the person wearing that insanely bright orange shirt.  :rolleyes:  LOL!  (my son is in the dark blue shirt and the Vet is the guy in the purple shirt with the Wildcat ballcap-- a vet tech is next to him)

Thanks for the pics and info on the process. That's pretty neat to see. Were all your birds tested or just the ones you will be showing? I'm going to contact my local 4H to see if they are offering a clinic this summer.

You've been posting lots of great info and I especially want to thank you for the 3 pics of your splash rooster. Seeing the baby, teen and adult pics of him was very helpful and I think he is gorgeous. It gives all of us newbies who still have chicks and juveniles, an excellent idea of what we may expect to see.

Btw, your son is a cutie and looks just like you! Tina G.

So what happens if you don't pass?
Wow, I'm not entirely sure! I did hear someone else saying that they will destroy all birds that come back positive. I don't know if that is true!

Thanks for the pics and info on the process. That's pretty neat to see. Were all your birds tested or just the ones you will be showing? I'm going to contact my local 4H to see if they are offering a clinic this summer.
You've been posting lots of great info and I especially want to thank you for the 3 pics of your splash rooster. Seeing the baby, teen and adult pics of him was very helpful and I think he is gorgeous. It gives all of us newbies who still have chicks and juveniles, an excellent idea of what we may expect to see.
Btw, your son is a cutie and looks just like you! Tina G.
I tested all of my adult birds and all of the birds I was going to show. Chicks don't have to be tested! :) If you are going to show, you will have to have a certificate that shows your birds have been tested with their band numbers. Oh and I'm glad that you could find some use out of the photos I posted of my rooster. They change so quickly and drastically. :) And thank you for the compliments! :)

Last edited:
I'm new with Silkies... the first two we bought were killed by a raccoon because they would sleep with their heads poking through the wires (no one told us they didn't roost and we didn't know till it was to late)... I got two, year old white Silkies to replace the ones i got and they are amazing. Yesterday i purchased two more red or buff ones about 3 months old. I was wondering (the person I'm buying them off of sells them in pairs a rooster and a hen) would it be okay to keep all the roosters i get? Next week i was going to buy a pair of black and grey ones, but i already have a bantam rooster. Addiction has slowly set in...

roll.png

LL

Swabbing throat (BELOW)
LL

LL

LL

So did you take your birds somewhere or did they come to you?

So did you take your birds somewhere or did they come to you?
No, we had to drive there to meet them. They set up this large clinic and had it open to anyone wanting to test their birds. The up side is that it was paid for by the State! The down side is that yeah, I had to drive a couple towns over to meet up there and it took an hour to get there. But honestly, everything here is so spread out, it doesn't seem too bad.
lol.png
And we don't exactly live in town, either, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom