Silkie with club foot and long nails

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joymac, Sep 16, 2012.

1. joymac

joymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    I bought a little silkie pullet yesterday and knew she had a club foot (the breeder knew I wouldn't be breeding her). She seems to walk fine but her nails are soooo long, curling around. How do you clip them and how short?

2. joymac

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    Oops, or is it her claws? I'm kinda new to chickens!

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I like using a small cat nail clipper...often I pick them up at the dollar tree..... On light colored birds you can kind of see the quick area...on dark nails it's a little harder. Often if you cut a short amount and keep doing small amounts till you see a circle starting in the center of the nail..that is the channel of the quick.

4. joymac

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    Thanks! I will try just snipping off a little at a time. My DH keeps asking why did I have to get the one with the deformed foot, and PAY for it at that, lol.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Because they tug at our heart strings.....that's why..hehe

6. joymac

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    After watching this new pullet for a week, I am wondering if I trim her claws if she will snag them on things and maybe it's better to leave her alone. I guess I need to post a pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by