Silkies, Houdans, and SC Nankins for Sale (mainly cockerels) out of Memphis, TN (willing to meet up to an hour away)

TheAlrightyGina

Crowing
Sep 3, 2020
Memphis, TN
I have several chickens for sale (or free, depending). I'm willing to travel up to an hour away to get them to a new home (especially the cockerels) and I'm based in Memphis, TN, so if you're in Arkansas or Mississippi we can probably work something out. I'm hoping to add pictures later today...I have some already but I need to update them because they're from quite a while ago.

Silkies - I have 3 black cockerels and 1 black pullet, 2 splash cockerels and 1 splash pullet. I've been getting $25 for pullets and $10 for cockerels locally; I'll let them go to BYC members for half price. These birds are out of Cackle Hatchery but they are really nice quality bearded Silkies. Hatch date 3/25/21 so ~3 months old. I give each Silkie a bath, blow dry, and nail trim before taking them to their new owner.

Houdan - I have 2 nice Mottled Houdan cockerels. These are from a breeder and have the correct (french style) v comb that looks kind of like antlers. These guys are gorgeous if a bit flighty but incredibly docile once you have them in your hands. A bit vocal for my tastes (but they sound hilarious, honestly) and they are described as 'ardent', ie, they need more ladies than the average cockerel/rooster to keep them happy. $10 a piece or free to anyone who's interested in helping to conserve the breed (Threatened). Hatch date 3/20/21, so a little over 3 months. Nails will be trimmed before hand off.

SC Nankin - I have 2 single combed Nankin cockerels. They are also from a breeder. One looks quite nice but the other has one foot with curled toes. I caught it too late to really do anything about it but it's far from the worst case I've seen. He doesn't have mobility issues that I've noticed. Both super friendly...they love to fly up and ride my shoulder when I come in to feed. $10 for one, the one with curled toes is free to good home. Either or both free to anyone who wants to help conserve the breed (Critical). Hatch date 4/17/2021, so a little over 2 months old. Nails will be trimmed before hand off.

I know many don't like to add older birds to their flocks, but to help assuage any fears, and also just to answer questions before they are asked, these are my biosecurity measures:

-Quarantine of new birds, whether chicks or adults, minimum 1 month in large, sanitized, interior cage.
-Birds that I intend to sell are not allowed to free range and do not intermingle with birds that are allowed to free range.
-Pens are covered with netting to prevent wild birds from entering.
-Weekly inspection for issues/disease
-Human and animal visitors not allowed into pens/poultry yard
-Shoes worn into pens and poultry area of the yard are only worn into pens and poultry area. Sanitized w/alcohol spray at least once a week, often more.
-Hands washed and sanitized when going from quarantine birds to main flocks (but generally I do this the other way 'round).
-Mosquitos controlled with mosquito dunks in any standing water if it takes longer than a day to evaporate and with an electronic carbon dioxide/fan trap.
-Coops, nest boxes, dust baths, and birds dusted with Garden and Poultry Dust (contains permethrin) periodically to deter mite and other insect infestation.
-Waterers rinsed and refilled daily and sanitized weekly.
-Feed stored in rodent and pest proof plastic pail.

Please message me or comment below if interested in any of my birds!

Here're pictures:

Houdans:

Houdan 1.jpg
P1120300.JPG

Houdan 2.jpg

P1120307.JPG

P1120312.JPG

P1120316.JPG

Nankins:

P1120349.JPG

I included his wonky foot in the picture.

P1120351.JPG

This is the other cockerel I'm looking to rehome.

Silkies:

Black pullet
P1120332.JPG

The two black cockerels:
P1120342.JPG

I somehow neglected to get pictures of the splashes. Will see if I can rectify that tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom