Silkies tag-teaming the 2 batches of eggs.

Gonna finish this one more time to upload a couple pics this morning.....
IMG_20200713_115641015.jpg

IMG_20200713_120503_01.jpg

IMG_20200713_115931778.jpg
(Fingers crossed for umpteenth time....)

So today's update, it's like 2 days shy of 8 weeks since initial hatchings. Kiddos believe that the brown egg hatchling is a male as they spotted possible talons.
IMG_20200727_125407810~2.jpg

IMG_20200727_125436524~2.jpg

I think based on posturing and walking that 2 of the 3 salt-n-pepa's are female.
The one black chickie is thought to be a male from the Kiddo's opinion.
Of the 9 white Chickie's I'm thinking 1-3 are males so far.
IMG_20200727_130056486_HDR.jpg
This one walks very tall.
IMG_20200727_125158198~2.jpg
Just sitting tall - different chick.
IMG_20200727_125540000.jpg
One of the salt-n-pepa's that I think is female.
IMG_20200727_130129129_HDR.jpg
Nap time for 4 of them.

Thought I would update you on my Hanna refugees here. @electrycmonk The night before landfall a sneaky broody was discovered by our neighbors dog in the front drainage ditch. They were all wrangled up and placed here. No clue what would have happened during that weather event to her(maybe just another silkie death to stupidity).The dog was easy to distract as we have played ball through the fence over the years. This little one was usually seen daily but I never heard the broody ticking time bomb. Additionally, these silkie mixes have just gotten to numerous to do proper headcounts on, plus the chasing them down at roost o'clock routine.
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-27 at 14.31.35.jpeg

Last edited:
So as an update today.... We lost 2 of our runts last week as well as 2 of our (non silkie) hens to the situation of blood in poop for a different hen....
And now..... I'm about to go check on everyone.

Yesterday one of the chicks from t he younger group started to show signs of early wry neck. I quickly got the selenium & Vit E gel and gave the chick plenty to nibble on... Then gave all the other chicks & the Momma's some too.
Then I started the hydro-hen and rooster-booster in the water back up again too.....
(Fingers crossed)

This it not a good day. When I left the coop/ run around 2 this afternoon I had just finished giving the little tike water mix and some of the selenium & Vitamin E mix. It seemed to be stabilized and not getting worse. I was feeling cautiously optimistic.

Returned about 6-7hrs later to discover bad news. "Flappy" the Momma had chosen to hunker down away from the crate/ nesting area as the sickly chick had gotten alot worse.

I tried to get it to eat (freshly scrambled egg mushed up) and or drink the fortified water mix or the Vitamin E mix. The chick wouldn't open it's eyes and was do a rather labored looking open mouth breathing.

So after that all failed I gave the scrambled egg mush to "Flappy" & her other times.... One of them was from the 1st batch and was hunkered down with them quietly.
When I moved them around the extra white one had a hint of a unstable walk once I set it down in the crate.

I took a deep breath and really studied it's movements for about 5 minutes then, I went and got a tote for the very sick one and returned.

Put the very sick one in the towel lined tote and then gently moved Flappy & the lil'ones into the crate. The extra white. Hi k had a much more noticed wabble trying to walk past the water container. (Deep sigh)

So I pulled this little one out and tried to get it to drink from the dropper and some more of the scrambled egg..... It drank for a little bit but, was also showing some slightly labored breathing once it hunkered down in my lap and closed it's eyes....

Well now I'm stuck with one about to be "put to sleep" & one that tomorrow will show me whats gonna happen next....
This picture is the little tike right before I took it to go snuggle up to Flappy. IMG_20200805_214921671.jpg

This it not a good day. When I left the coop/ run around 2 this afternoon I had just finished giving the little tike water mix and some of the selenium & Vitamin E mix. It seemed to be stabilized and not getting worse. I was feeling cautiously optimistic.

Returned about 6-7hrs later to discover bad news. "Flappy" the Momma had chosen to hunker down away from the crate/ nesting area as the sickly chick had gotten alot worse.

I tried to get it to eat (freshly scrambled egg mushed up) and or drink the fortified water mix or the Vitamin E mix. The chick wouldn't open it's eyes and was do a rather labored looking open mouth breathing.

So after that all failed I gave the scrambled egg mush to "Flappy" & her other times.... One of them was from the 1st batch and was hunkered down with them quietly.
When I moved them around the extra white one had a hint of a unstable walk once I set it down in the crate.

I took a deep breath and really studied it's movements for about 5 minutes then, I went and got a tote for the very sick one and returned.

Put the very sick one in the towel lined tote and then gently moved Flappy & the lil'ones into the crate. The extra white. Hi k had a much more noticed wabble trying to walk past the water container. (Deep sigh)

So I pulled this little one out and tried to get it to drink from the dropper and some more of the scrambled egg..... It drank for a little bit but, was also showing some slightly labored breathing once it hunkered down in my lap and closed it's eyes....

Well now I'm stuck with one about to be "put to sleep" & one that tomorrow will show me whats gonna happen next....
This picture is the little tike right before I took it to go snuggle up to Flappy.View attachment 2278401
I am hopeful they recover for you. I had nutri-drenched all of mine in the past when I had issues like that. Have only had to euthanize one so far.

Well, recovery was not an option. Neither of those two survived the night. Died in their sleep. Dang it. I'm on day 9 of the Corid dosing for the flock so now I'm at 1/2 last week's dosing in the water. This is so frustrating. I thought wrong in that if I let them sleep after trying late last night one more time at 'eye dropper's feeding & watering; I can get to them early and stay on top of the watering and liquid feeding today. Got up about 5:30 as the 21y/o was going in to work for extra hours today and woke me then.... Went out to see both had died in their sleep. Thankfully they look to of not struggled just Laying where they went to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom