Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
You gotta give them kisses against their will. Just pick one, carry it around all day like a baby, and the next day you will hear it call "mama"!
I would love to do this. But I always feel so bad when they start breathing through their beaks as apparently that means there sacred :(though some of them are harness trained so could. Have a chicken day and have them on a leash.

I would love to do this. But I always feel so bad when they start breathing through their beaks as apparently that means there sacred :(though some of them are harness trained so could. Have a chicken day and have them on a leash.
I have found that patting them gently on the back settles them down faster than anything. Then you can start tummy scratches.. they love that.

I've got more babies too, but they have been raised by mom and dad.. Today the chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old, and either mom or pop has taken all the old straw out of the nesting pot.. So I finished cleaning it out and added fresh dried grass.. First things first.. Shadow Captain has to give his seal of approval before Poof Poof will accept it. 'Hey dad, what r u doing?'View attachment 3175981
Awe what a good dad!

I have found that patting them gently on the back settles them down faster than anything. Then you can start tummy scratches.. they love that.
My boy Joey definitely luvs belly rubs!

Attachments

• 16461589204316852524053770778424.jpg
    16461589204316852524053770778424.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 2
Shredded cheddar cheese works for me to tame birds. It must be orange. They dont care as much for white.

I use bread as well. I'll sit there holding it and they must come up to me to get it.

My silkie roosters are the sweethearts. They like to sit with me and for me to rub the back of their crests and give comb massage. The stinkers will take their treats to give to the hens, though.

My half silkie, Leven, isn't a cuddler because he's super paranoid. Can't protect the girls if you're not watching them. He takes treats directly from me and hands them out, so he's not afraid of me. He just takes his job very seriously.

He will beg for treats. UPS made a delivery one day and Leven was out with his large fowl hens. Guy was coming up to the step when Leven saw him and came over to beg for treats. Calm walk. "Bu bu buh?" UPS guy freaked out. Yelled at Leven to stay back and rushed to his truck. I had heard the truck pull in and got to where I could see just as Leven came over leading the hens. Leven was following the guy, still looking for a treat when I opened the door and called to Leven. The door ia enough for the chickens to run to me.

Back
Top Bottom