Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Hello all Silkie people,
I've only just joined this site so I apologise if I am posting in incorrect places, I'm still figuring my way around.

Would anyone be able to help identify my Roosters colour? We were under the impression that he was a Lavender?

View attachment 1958477

I wouldn't like to say for certain but if you have Facebook, I'd recommend joining the Silkies for Pets, UK group as there is a few top breeders there which would give you an answer. I'm pretty sure I've seen a rooster that colour posted there before!

Also...:welcome

I think it would be. But I also think alot of people probably do breed half siblings :idunno (Just thinking of shipped eggs )

Thankyou, yep that's what I was kinda thinking! I'm guessing some people with shipped eggs still breed full siblings without knowing.

I want one like her she’s sooooo cute!

Glad you like her! I'll be getting updated photos soon :D

If any of you have your Silkies coop/run on concrete slabs, have you ever kept them without any substrate?

I've always put wooden horse bedding in the run on top of the concrete slabs but that just holds in any water and moisture and in this weather, it's never getting a chance to dry out. Of course, it will start freezing and I don't want my birds standing on frozen wet wood.

I've decided to try going down the route of just the concrete slabs, no substrate. I'm going in a couple of times a day and sweeping any poop up but I've found it's a lot drier and their feet are staying cleaner.

Their coop still has bedding as usual, that doesn't get wet anyways.

It's still early days but I'll see how it goes!

I'm also going to be adding a little bathing/scratch box kinda thing so that they can still dig in something. I'll probably use sand in that.

Last edited:
We moved my project Orpington chicks, & my Iowa Blue looking one into the small coop with our Brahma pullet Tremor, since they didn't like going inside to stay warm with our adult bantams, & Silkies.

It's been hard getting photos with how the weather has been but here's Porridge at 17 weeks old:

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

Tiramisu at 15 weeks old:

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG

They both need a bath :th

All my black silkies feathers look more blue towards the base, it makes it really confusing. The down near their vent does look more black though. I only have black from paint breeding so maybe that affects the color? It'll be interesting to compare to a black from a black x black breeding. I've got a single black silkie egg from a breeder incubating on day 11 now, and 5 paints from the same breeder. If it hatches and I get some black splits from the paint eggs as well I'll definitely compare as they grow to see if there is much of a difference. :)

Here is one of my black split girls, it's a lot easier to see the "blueish" down color when parting her feathers but you can kind of see some of the lighter down on her crest in the circled area.

View attachment 1958335 View attachment 1958337
Thank you! I checked the base of his down feathers and found they were a light blue-gray. Thanks for everyone's help.

Not completely Silkie related but would you guys say breeding birds that are half siblings (both have the same father) together would be a similar breeding to say father to daughter or mother to son?

I wouldn't breed full siblings but was curious about half siblings.
If I had a brood (of full siblings), then breeded each chick with a different chicken, and did that for a lot of generations, how many generations should I do before breeding the offspring together? Just another random question.

Hello all Silkie people,
I've only just joined this site so I apologise if I am posting in incorrect places, I'm still figuring my way around.

Would anyone be able to help identify my Roosters colour? We were under the impression that he was a Lavender?

View attachment 1958477
Beautiful roo! I have no idea what color he is but he is very handsome. Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom