Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Okay, I've been planning on making an article about untrue silkie myths, a few examples are that silkies don't lay well and silkies have fur. Any things you heard that are untrue you would like to share?
Great idea! One that seems to be pretty common is that silkies are dumb. I don’t find that to be true with mine anyway! Granted some of my other chickens are smarter but I think it’s an individual thing just like with people😂
Attached photos of some of my six week old silkies that my daughter took yesterday just before dark when the light was perfect!
Bigger chicken in the last photo is actually a blue birchen Marans pullet. Also six weeks old.
1B9D927A-1DB6-4AFC-9946-E0DDFED18E64.jpeg
44AEB72B-017F-4141-8067-548908021BAC.jpeg
C380C86F-8464-4538-940C-A4FDBCD9D129.jpeg
D0214CD7-6A1C-49DF-AE2E-B86C6F3B6092.jpeg

Great idea! One that seems to be pretty common is that silkies are dumb. I don’t find that to be true with mine anyway! Granted some of my other chickens are smarter but I think it’s an individual thing just like with people😂
Attached photos of some of my six week old silkies that my daughter took yesterday just before dark when the light was perfect!
Bigger chicken in the last photo is actually a blue birchen Marans pullet. Also six weeks old.
View attachment 2235249View attachment 2235250View attachment 2235251View attachment 2235252
Very true, I'll make sure to add that! Beautiful silkies!:love

It's the crests. If they can't see they walk into stuff and don't react quickly. I can take bumbling hens with big crests and put them in ponytails. Their assertiveness totally changes once they can see.
Yes, I absolutely agree! Would you mind if I quoted you in the article? You worded it very well.

Yes, I absolutely agree! Would you mind if I quoted you in the article? You worded it very well.

Sure if you wish.

I trim the crests on hens that are elderly or won't ever be concidered for taking to a show. I have a rooster that also gets trimmed because he gets a little defensive and bitey if startled. He's as blind as hen if I don't. After his first trimming he went back to his normal sweet self.

Sure if you wish.

I trim the crests on hens that are elderly or won't ever be concidered for taking to a show. I have a rooster that also gets trimmed because he gets a little defensive and bitey if startled. He's as blind as hen if I don't. After his first trimming he went back to his normal sweet self.
Thank you! Cool what you figured out about the trimming!

I don’t have any but I do like them! My favorite color is the splash! I found that I do like the silkies by someone entered in Cutest Baby Fowl and it was a baby silkie and I was in love!!
You should definitely get silkies! They're a great breed! Splashes are my favorite too!

Back
Top Bottom