Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Now for comb pics.
Chick 1 Poppy my personal favorite.
View attachment 2782404View attachment 2782409
Chick 2, who worries me.
View attachment 2782411View attachment 2782412View attachment 2782413
Chick 3 who has a single comb although tiny. This one was also the hardest to get a comb picture of as she did not want to be held tonight.
View attachment 2782415View attachment 2782416
To me.. chick 1 & 3 don't look like they have wattles or worrisome combs... so still in the running for females.

Chick 2 looks like there might be wattles coming in?? That would be a male indicator.

They are all super cute 😍

9 weeks old. All the chicks from this batch are little hyper and talkative. The rooster actually moved out of that pen and into then next one that just has a few hens to get some peace.

20210729_203454.jpg

Now for comb pics.
Chick 1 Poppy my personal favorite.
View attachment 2782404View attachment 2782409
Chick 2, who worries me.
View attachment 2782411View attachment 2782412View attachment 2782413
Chick 3 who has a single comb although tiny. This one was also the hardest to get a comb picture of as she did not want to be held tonight.
View attachment 2782415View attachment 2782416

To me.. chick 1 & 3 don't look like they have wattles or worrisome combs... so still in the running for females.

Chick 2 looks like there might be wattles coming in?? That would be a male indicator.

They are all super cute 😍
Agree with this.😊
They are all too young to be certain though.
Cute little fluff nuggets!🥰

9 weeks old. All the chicks from this batch are little hyper and talkative. The rooster actually moved out of that pen and into then next one that just has a few hens to get some peace.

View attachment 2782649
Adorable!! This is what has me thinking 🤔 flyers or non flyers for the next batch. If i get more bantam cochins and silkies they can run around the yard and sit on low branches... flyers need to still be contained... decisions, decisions...

Adorable!! This is what has me thinking 🤔 flyers or non flyers for the next batch. If i get more bantam cochins and silkies they can run around the yard and sit on low branches... flyers need to still be contained... decisions, decisions...

My silkies are much less destructive to grass and plants than my ameraucana and EEs. Once I get the garden a real fence, I'll be using silkies to help with pest control. It's just on the other side of the silkie courtyard and they herd well, so moving some in there will be easy.

I moved 6 currant plants out of pots and into the courtyard last night. Silkies don't reach high and like to be under plants. I've kept several potted grapes with them for years. They eat any ground level leaves but can't reach the grapes. They also leave my herbs alone so most perennials are doing double duty as shade plants for them.

My silkies are much less destructive to grass and plants than my ameraucana and EEs. Once I get the garden a real fence, I'll be using silkies to help with pest control. It's just on the other side of the silkie courtyard and they herd well, so moving some in there will be easy.

I moved 6 currant plants out of pots and into the courtyard last night. Silkies don't reach high and like to be under plants. I've kept several potted grapes with them for years. They eat any ground level leaves but can't reach the grapes. They also leave my herbs alone so most perennials are doing double duty as shade plants for them.
That is good to know.. i plan on having some raised garden beds and fruit trees.

Back
Top Bottom