Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I'm so very sorry this happened! I can understand where you are coming from, I've had to do the same with some of my over aggressive boys. It feels terrible but I take solace in that it is what is better for the rest of the flock. 😢:hugs
Thank you. It is better for the flock for those boys to be gone.
Biscuit didn't crow last night or this morning, I'm yet to hear him since the death of the other 2 boys.

So Puff has gone broody now and I'm not sure if I should allow 2 to brood at the same time.. have any if you done this? How did it work out?
I don't think most eggs are fertile but I do know that Cookie (that I culled last night) was doing his thing with Char so should I try Chars eggs??
Char is the dark grey? Colour.. IMG_20210915_110630.jpg

So Puff has gone broody now and I'm not sure if I should allow 2 to brood at the same time.. have any if you done this? How did it work out?
I don't think most eggs are fertile but I do know that Cookie (that I culled last night) was doing his thing with Char so should I try Chars eggs??
Char is the dark grey? Colour..View attachment 2846574
I had three broodys once. They were friends.

Char is the dark grey? Colour..View attachment 2846574

Many of my silkie hens get along very well at co-brooding. Had 5 raising chicks together once. One would hide the chicks and the other 4 went on aggressive attack.

These 2 are raising 16 chicks together right now.

20210923_183522.jpg

I'm so glad most of my hens are very tolerant. This hatch was drawn out over a week. I'd take a few chicks out to give them every day. The darker hen would give that "well? What do you have?" sound. I'd show her chicks and she'd settle herself down and wait patiently for me to put the new chicks under her.

These are older hens. Around 7 years old. They are old hands at wrangling chicks.

20210922_151111_capture.jpg

Many of my silkie hens get along very well at co-brooding. Had 5 raising chicks together once. One would hide the chicks and the other 4 went on aggressive attack.

These 2 are raising 16 chicks together right now.

View attachment 2846701
So cute!!!!
.. Mine won't hatch at the same time so I don't think it will work... I just found Smokey off her eggs and on Puffs fresh eggs! So hopefully Smokey's eggs are ok as they are 11 days now! I have just put a barrier in-between them to stop Smokey taking over Puffs nest again (not in pic).. Unfortunately now Smokey has only a small area now. Puff can get out on her side to access ramp to food.

I need a better setup I think.

IMG_20210926_125936.jpg

Not usually. If I let them hatch the eggs, I mark the eggs and check daily when I turf the hens off the nest to go eat. That way I can collect new eggs and candle quickly under my jacket if needed.

If I use the incubator, I'll bring a hen or two inside to a tub I set up for them at night a day or soo before the chicks hatch. Then I can put the chicks in with them for a couple days before returning the lot back to their pen. As chicks get bigger, they have more sleeping options at night because everyone lets them sleep under them.

I do have certain exceptions. This last batch, these were the only hens sleeping in that particular pen anyway. I'd had all the pens open because the 2 adult roosters dont fight. The girls mingled and moved into different houses.

If it's particularly valuable eggs for me, I incubate now when Molly goes broody. She can be moved to the tub at any time and is very reliable as a broody.

Back
Top Bottom