Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Aww I'm loving the babies as well as the older girls posted in the last few thread pages! 🥰

And it looks like there are a few new faces here as well, just wanted to say welcome to the thread! 😁

Oh you will luv em!!! Just work with em a lot and let them come to U and you'll have the sweetest pets there are!!!
Then get ya some d'uccles! Lolol!!! Massive personality those tiny babies have!

So yall..I'm wishy washy I know. But I figure yall will understand better than most.

I've been in luv with the porcelain Satin ever since I laid eyes on her! Hardly any out there even exist as this is one that major breeders have been working towards along with mille fleur Satins too. So I shared my wild hair-brained idea...yeah here I go again!
I do not have the capability, experience, nor the understanding to even begin to figure out how to do this project breed on my own! In just a few weeks of even trying to learn, much less grasp any of the genetics I have managed to make myself pretty miserable when it comes to my babies.
That is the EXACT OPPOSITE reason of why I got them in the first place! I hate that I even went down this path! I hate that I have re-homed several of those I loved because they weren't the right color for this project!
I don't regret the d'uccles one second! They are the only positive that came out of this learning experience at all!
So thanks for listening to me! Thank you for putting up with me n my hair-brained ideas!
Here's to going back to just enjoying em as they are! And if one of those gorgeous porcelain Satins ever becomes available I'll just buy one - already done!

Aww I'm really sorry about regretting letting go of some of your little ones. It's hard sometimes to find what kind of goals fit for you or if projects and goals aren't really the focus at all and you just want to enjoy your flock for what they are. I've been there with regretting rehoming before. 😢

I understand changing your mind, that kind of project really is a big undertaking! I hope sometime you'll be able to find a porcelain satin just as gorgeous to add to your current flock. 🥰 I think it's a lot easier and you develop more of a relationship with each flock member if you keep things smaller and don't worry too much about colors. Plus it is a lot of fun to hatch from a mixed color flock and get surprises! 😁 I have the big flock with separate pens and multiple projects and colors and I love the genetics and projects but I still miss the feel of knowing all the birds better and having more of a relationship with each individual. I love hearing the stories in this thread of those of you with smaller flocks and all the things each flock member gets up to. 😊

I've been there with regretting rehoming before. 😢
Me too. Rehomed 3 of my Silkie roosters, two of them I’ve had since chicks. He’s two years old now.

Here he is in his new home with his brother that was also rehomed with him :love
FFF64C45-A51B-44D7-AAD1-7A6E34D7BE45.jpeg

I had three from this batch but kept one because he’s really good with chicks and keeps them warm once they move into the coop❤️

I have just rehomed 12 silkies: 6 to athens and 6 to north greece, to my friends. I am a bit sad but happy they will have good homes and we can exchange the roos in the future. I kept 1 black cockerel (a surprise one), 2 hens (black and blue) , 2 black pullets and and a pair of juveniles that look like blue silver (partridge?). a columbian roo and 2 half columbian juveniles went to my friend's farm in north greece. I am too busy with selling my house so I want to keep less chickens time being.

I will happily share pictures. I have some Easter egger chicks and it's crazy how much bigger they are then the silkies and they are all so close in age. They are in a smaller/baby run for now till they are a bit bigger then they will get to enjoy being free range babies.
Congrats on your new babies 🎉
..Ohwww such cute little cotton balls you have there!

I saw Biscuit rooster feet bleeding today! 😩 Scaley mites!
I regularly treat with permethrin spray and powder in dust bath.
I just gave him another dose of Ivermectin on his neck just now and half filled Icecream container of extra virgin olive oil and swished his feet in.
What you you all do to treat mites? My rooster seems to be the one affected, 2 others have it very minor so I gave them another permethrin spray.

He's in the coop now keeping to himself.. poor boy 😟

IMG_20220524_123857.jpg

IMG_20220524_123920.jpg

IMG_20220524_123916.jpg

Back
Top Bottom