Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Can any tell me if they will have Silkie feathering satin or.....Stella's chicks turn 1 month old the 25 of June . They are 3/4 Silkie and 1/4 Polish . She is a first time broody hen.

Attachments

• IMG_20220622_205556992.jpg
    IMG_20220622_205556992.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220622_205602660.jpg
    IMG_20220622_205602660.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220529_193156513.jpg
    IMG_20220529_193156513.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220522_185742339.jpg
    IMG_20220522_185742339.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
O.O , When I went out to lock up last night, and check on everyone, Poof Poof was up roosting with Shadow Captain and her little poofs were gathered together in the nest. The babies will be two weeks old tomorrow. Is that normal? Of course we are going through a heat wave atm. But it is down to 73 degrees over night. Should I be worried?
Yes I'd be worried and do something about it. Maybe it would be a good idea to lock mumma hen and chicks up for the night together. They are too young for her to abandon them.
I had a hen that started roosting away from her chicks, I closed them up in a coop with no roost so she couldn't get up away from them.

I'm just hoping he keeps some in his crest because I think the white and black crest is really cute. 😁
What an absolute cutie!!! How old is he? Non-bearded?
Not having to have the black skin would open up colors that aren't able to be recognized as silkies now too (like varieties involving barring where the boys pretty much always have red combs).
Definitely! Funny thing bout Bluey is that she had a lot of yellow/orange skin and even on beak!
But now...only the bottoms of her feet are that color! And her comb is not nearly as orange as it used to be a few weeks ago!
Still...please be a girl!
This was one of mine.
What a handsome fellow!!! Luv the colors!
Awe!!! Such a cutiepie!
So i put it in my Brooder until it was dry
Good save!!! Looks like a keeper!
my fluffies.
Beautiful babies and luv that studmuffin's coloring!!! Is he full silkie?

Cute 😍
If he's crowing then yes most likely a cockerel. It is a bit hard to confirm with that one photo, do you have a full body and face/ front on photo of him showing his comb?
Tried my best. He just wouldn't stand still for a photo 😅

Btw, what colour would Luna be categorised as?

Attachments

• IMG_20220624_191126.jpg
    IMG_20220624_191126.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220624_191141.jpg
    IMG_20220624_191141.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220624_191014.jpg
    IMG_20220624_191014.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 2
Thanks! Do you think he could produce random coloured offspring?

I think it's kind of hard to say with that little guy. He definitely could be a really poorly marked paint or he could have two copies of dominant white and be a white from paint. If he is one of those he should at least be able to throw some paint chicks (likely with small spots or poorly marked). He's one where test breeding would let you know a lot more I think. What recessives he does or doesn't carry will really affect the variety he can throw with different colored hens.

I had a final count of 16 out of 19 eggs hatch under my broody hen! She left this poor baby wet in the nest!! So i put it in my Brooder until it was dry and gave it back up mama! It looks like it has some partridge to its color?!?!View attachment 3161218

View attachment 3161219
View attachment 3161220

Aww very cute, I'm glad you found the little one and were able to get it warm before going back to momma. 🥰 I've only had one chick that hatched with those sort of partial partridge stripes on the face etc. She turned out fairly solid colored (in her case blue with a slight brown tint). Chick down can be tricky to read sometimes so who knows what this little one will grow into. In the first picture the one at the top looks like they have silkie feathers and the one on the bottom smooth feathers like satins and most chickens have. The next picture I'd say the two chicks closest

Aww just gorgeous! 😍

Can any tell me if they will have Silkie feathering satin or.....Stella's chicks turn 1 month old the 25 of June . They are 3/4 Silkie and 1/4 Polish . She is a first time broody hen.

Hmmm it's kind of hard to tell with the pictures being a little blurry but from what I can see you've got both silkied and regular feathered chicks there. In the first picture the baby at the top looks like it probably has silkie feathering and the baby at the bottom looks to have smooth/regular feathering (like satins and most chickens have). The next picture I'd say the two chicks towards the middle of the picture look like they are probably silkie feathered and the one at the top has smooth feathering. They are definitely old enough to tell feather type, usually once wing feathers come in enough (at a week old) you can tell smooth feathered vs silkied. :)

What an absolute cutie!!! How old is he? Non-bearded?

Definitely! Funny thing bout Bluey is that she had a lot of yellow/orange skin and even on beak!
But now...only the bottoms of her feet are that color! And her comb is not nearly as orange as it used to be a few weeks ago!
Still...please be a girl!

What a handsome fellow!!! Luv the colors!

Awe!!! Such a cutiepie!

Good save!!! Looks like a keeper!

Beautiful babies and luv that studmuffin's coloring!!! Is he full silkie?

Thank you! That little guy is partially bearded but has no feathers under his chin. You can see he has little tiny muffs/fluffy cheeks still though so he definitely has one copy of the bearded gene. 😂 Most of my little Nn babies that are partially bearded (since dad is non bearded and moms are fully bearded) don't have any feathers growing under the chin but do have little muffs. I got one finally that has a little down beard, I think the Nn gene just likes to swallow up their beards a lot of the time. :lol:

I really hope your adorable little Bluey is a girl too. With my little guy as well the skin has filled in a lot (his little feet were all pink at hatch). My paints do that often to where the dark pigment comes in later on. I'm wondering if part of that is that a lot of paint lines actually do have mottled genetics floating around. With the paints and this guy (and it sounds like with Bluey too) they often keep the light skin on the bottoms of the feet but a lot of other places it turns dark.

Tried my best. He just wouldn't stand still for a photo 😅

Btw, what colour would Luna be categorised as?

He is such a cutie! I would have suspected boy looking at him with the crest shape and what looks like the start of streamers but the comb is small enough I wouldn't have been 100% until streamers came in fully.

As far as color he looks like he is a gray, his white/silver areas are more extended than in some grays so he may be what breeders call Columbian gray. It's a really pretty color with a lovely silver to dark gradient. It shares similar genetics to partridge but is silver based rather than gold. 😊

Love love love them!! And that grass! It looks fake and so soft! Do you know what its called? Im going to be swapping out to clover once rain hits us (drought land here).
Thanks ☺️ I'm not sure of the type of grass, it's just naturally growing on our property. I do use a box of random grass seeds (cheapest one from Bunnings) and reseed the inside enclosed area. Also I bought 'Chicken Forage' seeds and did a patch of that and they loved that so much they demolished it in a day back to dirt 😂

Thanks ☺️ I'm not sure of the type of grass, it's just naturally growing on our property. I do use a box of random grass seeds (cheapest one from Bunnings) and reseed the inside enclosed area. Also I bought 'Chicken Forage' seeds and did a patch of that and they loved that so much they demolished it in a day back to dirt 😂
Oh im thinking of growing some seeds like you did, but in trays.. like large mats, and just throw them in once a week. Hmm.. but ill have to figure out where, otherwise the wild birds will grab it!

Back
Top Bottom