Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I think part of it is space and the fact that mama encourages them to move around.

Also the constant heat. I noticed chicks under a bulb don't run around as much as chicks that have a brooder plate for warmth. Brooder plates are safer and use way less electricity.

I haven't actually noticed much difference in feather growth between winter brooded chicks and summer brooded. The hens do a good job keeping the chicks warm in winter and I always have them with the flock during that time for extra night time warmth.

I only feed a minimum 20% feed on silkies. They get an all flock feed their whole life.

My ameraucana and EE actually plucked each other to eat the feathers when I had them on layer back in the first year I had chickens.

I feed Nutrena Egg Producer when it's in stock as it's 21%. Otherwise it's some all flock type with oystershell on the side. Flockraiser crumbles when there are chicks.

Yes it's more expensive than layer but they are happy.

Some of mine are smaller then others even though they are raised the same. I have only raised chicks with a broody hen so don't know any different comparisons.

I either feed starter or grower with shell on the side since there's often chicks in the flock and always roosters in the mix. 20% protein in starter and 16% in grower. Problem is they have anti-cocci meds in it - but natural type ( Orego-Stim and ENTX, plant extracts ) so ok for layers, theres no other option for feed without meds unless it's layer feed and I don't want that for chicks or roosters 🤷 so they have the 'natural' anti-cocci med all the time hopefully no harm done 😟

I only feed a minimum 20% feed on silkies. They get an all flock feed their whole life.

My ameraucana and EE actually plucked each other to eat the feathers when I had them on layer back in the first year I had chickens.

I feed Nutrena Egg Producer when it's in stock as it's 21%. Otherwise it's some all flock type with oystershell on the side. Flockraiser crumbles when there are chicks.

Yes it's more expensive than layer but they are happy.

the feed I fed chicks was 21% proteins. I know nothing about the ingredients they use. it is pretty obvious they are not good enough.

Some of mine are smaller then others even though they are raised the same. I have only raised chicks with a broody hen so don't know any different comparisons.

I either feed starter or grower with shell on the side since there's often chicks in the flock and always roosters in the mix. 20% protein in starter and 16% in grower. Problem is they have anti-cocci meds in it - but natural type ( Orego-Stim and ENTX, plant extracts ) so ok for layers, theres no other option for feed without meds unless it's layer feed and I don't want that for chicks or roosters 🤷 so they have the 'natural' anti-cocci med all the time hopefully no harm done 😟

the feed I use in unmedicated. as long as they have enough space they are fine. only overcrowded chicks get cocci - in my experience.

So you more knowledgeable ones that know I struggle to understand all the coloring of these babies...could ya help a gamma out?!
Recessive white...when Daisy was born that's what yall thought she prob was.
What is Recessive white?
How does it differ from white?
Does it just mean her babies could throw any color except pure white?
Here she is as baby vs now...gorgeous Satin girlee! This is a poor pic of her now cuz she is white as snow all over!

Attachments

• 20220420_193512.jpg
    20220420_193512.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220420_193522.jpg
    20220420_193522.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220627_075150.jpg
    20220627_075150.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220616-124159_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220616-124159_Photos.jpg