Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Thank you ill try this. I would really love them to like me.
Yes, and little neck massages... 💆‍♀️
Screenshot_20220315-220746_One UI Home.jpg

My lil fuzzlings in the turnout pen and integrated with the silkie mix babies their age.. It went off perfectly!View attachment 3175799
White Cloud a silkie mix was the perfect hostess for the parteh.
View attachment 3175803

Aww they really are filling in beautifully! The silkie mixes in your video were pretty adorable too! 😍

I lost my pair of Silkies over a year ago and just got some new babies to love! 🥰 can’t wait to see what we have although a few are bucking at each other so I’m sure we have a few roos on our hands lol. They are 5 weeks old today! 🥳
Aww congratulations on the new babies! They are such cuties! 🥰

I've got more babies too, but they have been raised by mom and dad.. Today the chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old, and either mom or pop has taken all the old straw out of the nesting pot.. So I finished cleaning it out and added fresh dried grass.. First things first.. Shadow Captain has to give his seal of approval before Poof Poof will accept it. 'Hey dad, what r u doing?'View attachment 3175981

Aww Shadow Captain really seems like such a good dad! 🥰

My boy Joey definitely luvs belly rubs!

He looks just adorable enjoying his belly rubs, what a sweetie! ❤️

Hey you heat wave folks with high humidity... @AngBantamLuv and @kurby22 do yall do any kind of wading pools or anything for the silkies and satins to get in to cool their feet down?
From what I understand the bottoms of their feet help regulate body temp.
Poor Bluey is the worst affected with her being darker than others. But even the d'uccles are panting now it's so bad here.
I have been sitting them on ice cubes for few seconds at a time to try and bring their temps down...as well as all the other usual stuff like hosing down run, ice in waterers, frozen fruits and electrolytes in separate water and large fan in coop. But there's no end on sight and I don't wanna lose any!
Just thought I'd see if yall had ever tried that with the feathered feet babies we all have!

Hey you heat wave folks with high humidity... @AngBantamLuv and @kurby22 do yall do any kind of wading pools or anything for the silkies and satins to get in to cool their feet down?
From what I understand the bottoms of their feet help regulate body temp.
Poor Bluey is the worst affected with her being darker than others. But even the d'uccles are panting now it's so bad here.
I have been sitting them on ice cubes for few seconds at a time to try and bring their temps down...as well as all the other usual stuff like hosing down run, ice in waterers, frozen fruits and electrolytes in separate water and large fan in coop. But there's no end on sight and I don't wanna lose any!
Just thought I'd see if yall had ever tried that with the feathered feet babies we all have!
I bought one of those really large ceramic plates that go under pots.. i got the 14", but they have bigger. I wash it out and fill it with ice water. They seem to love it and prefer drinking from that vs their waterer when it's hottest. They do all walk through it, and i have one polish (pebbles), that's smart enough to stand in it for most of the afternoon.

On the hottest days, i have some big 1 quart ice blocks with watermelon and peas in it that i add. I wait til the hottest part of the day, like 3ish, to add it.

I was hosing down the run, which they loved, but mucking up sand, soil, and chicken poop turned into a toxic waste dump, so im not doing that again.

I bought one of those really large ceramic plates that go under pots.. i got the 14", but they have bigger. I wash it out and fill it with ice water. They seem to love it and prefer drinking from that vs their waterer when it's hottest. They do all walk through it, and i have one polish (pebbles), that's smart enough to stand in it for most of the afternoon.

On the hottest days, i have some big 1 quart ice blocks with watermelon and peas in it that i add. I wait til the hottest part of the day, like 3ish, to add it.

I was hosing down the run, which they loved, but mucking up sand, soil, and chicken poop turned into a toxic waste dump, so im not doing that again.
So no problems with the feathered feet babies in ice water...if they stand in it?
I hadn't had problems with hosing down the run cuz mine is wood chips...so it hasn't been bad at all and I only do the opposite sun areas since they rotate between there depending on location of sun.
I also use first Saturday lime in and around run n coop which helps with smell and flies. You ever tried it?

So no problems with the feathered feet babies in ice water...if they stand in it?
I hadn't had problems with hosing down the run cuz mine is wood chips...so it hasn't been bad at all and I only do the opposite sun areas since they rotate between there depending on location of sun.
I also use first Saturday lime in and around run n coop which helps with smell and flies. You ever tried it?
No, i haven't used lime. The sand is great because i use it like kitty litter, just rake it clean once a week. I add a fresh layer of sweet pdz after i clean and that absorbs any ammonia and keeps off the flies.

No probs with their feet in the water, but make sure there's water, so you dont have ice sticking to their skin. If anything, i think a good foot cleaning is good anyways!

Back
Top Bottom