Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Molly and her companion now moved to the broody coop. Its her left leg there that was broke. She's limping but was getting restless in the hospital tub. More room to move in here but she has at least a week and a half to finish healing.

I'll keep them in there longer, just might remove the board block so they can go down the ramp to the bottom for dirt access.

20230206_160436.jpg

Molly and her companion now moved to the broody coop. Its her left leg there that was broke. She's limping but was getting restless in the hospital tub. More room to move in here but she has at least a week and a half to finish healing.

I'll keep them in there longer, just might remove the board block so they can go down the ramp to the bottom for dirt access.

View attachment 3397920
She looks to be doing well! Hoping she continues to heal!!!

Ok I've got to sell some 😒...so would yall advertise this one I've been questioning as a girl?
I'll be selling her along with the redder buff boy there. She is identidied with a blue arrow throughout the video so you can watch and give me your thoughts.
Thank yall!!!

:celebrate

First and foremost - ABSOLUTELY NO HATING ON SILKIES ALLOWED!!! If you aren’t here to support our fuzzy friends, don’t respond. :)

Silkies get a bad rap for the following:
"Looks like a dust mop"
"Too hard to maintain"
"Poor immune system"
"Dumber than rocks"
"0 predator awareness"
And oh, so much more.

Well my friends - I thought so too, until I actually got silkies for myself. These are some of the most wonderful birds out there.

I’ve found them to be highly heat tolerant, wonderful mothers, having the strongest immune systems in my Bantam flock, GREAT LAYERS (that’s right folks), adorable as all get out, and more. :D

I currently have 9 silkies - and my rooster has been nothing but a gentleman to his ladies. They free range daily and I’ve not had a silkie get killed by a predator yet. My hens average 5 eggs a week - not too bad for a silkie, eh? :)

Most of the time, these silkie haters haven’t even owned the breed, but rather pretend they know everything. :lol:

So... let the fun begin! Support our silkies! :woot

Pictures always welcome. :)

Be mindful, and respect others...

Off-topic discussions are allowed, though try to maintain the subject of silkies.

-Kayla-
I have 9 of these majestic puff fluffs. But I have a soft spot for the bachelor boys I gave my mom for her birthday this year. Bucket (soft black) Billy (salt and pepper) and Crawford (white). They are in my gallery

3 chick remain, one was DIS and one drown in the adults water bucket (which was promptly removed. 4 hatches and first time this has ever happened :-( ).. So I have 2 hard winged kids from Sioux and Top Gun, and one blue splash from one of the two silkie hens. First up the silkie.
DSC_0306.JPG
DSC_0287.JPG
DSC_0289.JPG

Next is Sioux's two kids. I'm counting them as F1 due to uncertainty on Sioux's father.
DSC_0293.JPG
DSC_0303.JPG

3 chick remain, one was DIS and one drown in the adults water bucket (which was promptly removed. 4 hatches and first time this has ever happened :-( ).. So I have 2 hard winged kids from Sioux and Top Gun, and one blue splash from one of the two silkie hens. First up the silkie.View attachment 3399365View attachment 3399356View attachment 3399358
Next is Sioux's two kids. I'm counting them as F1 due to uncertainty on Sioux's father.View attachment 3399362View attachment 3399363
LUV the colors of these babies!
I'm so sorry bout the DIS and the accidental drowning baby.

I think it's time I make my debut on this thread. I recently got three beautiful silkie 3.5 month olds! Unfortunately, one has passed. I'm extremely nervous and fearful the other ones will have the same fate. I really don't know what happened. After examination its crop was empty, so maybe it was sick. The only other possible explanation is that it died from being too cold, but the temperatures didn't drop below 32F at night, and they are fully feathered. If it were any other breed I wouldn't even consider it, but since silkies have peculiar feathering I'm putting it out there as a possibility, though I've been told multiple times that they aren't as vulnerable to the cold as they are to heat, so I really have no clue, so if anyone has any ideas, input, whatever, I'd love to hear it. As to why I got silkies. I was actually looking to first get this breed five years ago, though it didn't work out back then. I love them for their fluffyness of course, their sweet personality, their overall look and quirks, and their brooding ability! Hope my two remaining silkies make it, because even though I've had them for only seven days. I've gotten very attached to them, I suppose that's the beauty and curse of the silkie

Last edited:
3 chick remain, one was DIS and one drown in the adults water bucket (which was promptly removed. 4 hatches and first time this has ever happened :-( ).. So I have 2 hard winged kids from Sioux and Top Gun, and one blue splash from one of the two silkie hens. First up the silkie.

Next is Sioux's two kids. I'm counting them as F1 due to uncertainty on Sioux's father.

Hope they turn out amazing! Good luck with them!

I think it's time I make my debut on this thread. I recently got three beautiful silkie 3.5 month olds! Unfortunately, one has passed. I'm extremely nervous and fearful the other ones will have the same fate. I really don't know what happened. After examination its crop was empty, so maybe it was sick. The only other possible explanation is that it died from being too cold, but the temperatures didn't drop below 32F at night, and they are fully feathered. If it were any other breed I wouldn't even consider it, but since silkies have peculiar feathering I'm putting it out there as a possibility, though I've been told multiple times that they aren't as vulnerable to the cold as they are to heat, so I really have no clue, so if anyone has any ideas, input, whatever, I'd love to hear it. As to why I got silkies. I was actually looking to first get this breed five years ago, though it didn't work out back then. I love them for their fluffyness of course, their sweet personality, their overall look and quirks, and their brooding ability! Hope my two remaining silkies make it, because even though I've had them for only seven days. I've gotten very attached to them, I suppose that's the beauty and curse of the silkie
Welcome!

My silkies managed to thrive and even sit eggs during a cold snap we had that sent temps down in the teens here. You have to realize that sometimes a bird passed for no known reason at all. I can't say why, but if the other two are filling up at feed time, have sunshine and plenty of fresh water they too will thrive. Wishing you the best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom