Silkies...

Dinos_rock

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Arizona
So I am thinking about getting some silkies. From what I have heard, they are a good nice breed to get. But I have also heard things that are not very good about them. What is your input? Should I get them? Are they a pain because of their feathers/fur? Or should I think about getting a different breed?...
hu.gif

I love my silkies. I have not had any issues with their feathers/fur at all. No other health issues...knock on wood, besdies coccidia, which is common here where I live. They are so friendly, come when I call them, let me carry them around and anything I want. My roo is so sweet that I was trimming his fluff around his eyes so he could see, that I layed him on his side in my lap and went trimming away with full size kitchen shears, and he just sat there!! Get a few...why not lol.

I can't say much on my experience because I just bought my first 2 whites about 10 days ago.
I wanted some because they are just so darn cute and the fact that they are excellent broodies just makes them that much more desirable to me.

Silkies are great. Very winter hardy and I haven't had but one health issue where one of my sweet pullets was pecked on the head and suffered brain damage. I don't believe it is common, as I had Silkies for about 3 years and this was the first time this ever happened.
They are wonderful moms and if you can keep them from going broody one you, are terrific winter layers as well.

Get some, you won't regret it.
big_smile.png

I have two silkies and they are not at all a pain..there fluffy-ness actually makes them more unique then some breeds....and they are easy to handle, tame, nice, and get very broody, (if you need more chicks, and not want to use an incubator)...

I love my silkies. My white roo Moogie will lay in my lap on his back and I rub his chest. He closes his eyes and just goes limp.

Yeah, they are soooo cute. They rooster silkies crow, right? (not to sound stupid...)

I was just curious - what is coccidia?
hu.gif

Some people (around where I live) don't think they are practical because they are not heavy layers. But I LOVE sitting and watching them free range. They are just so darn cute!!!!

jackie

Back
Top Bottom