Silkies...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dinos_rock, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    So I am thinking about getting some silkies. From what I have heard, they are a good nice breed to get. But I have also heard things that are not very good about them. What is your input? Should I get them? Are they a pain because of their feathers/fur? Or should I think about getting a different breed?...[​IMG]

2. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I love my silkies. I have not had any issues with their feathers/fur at all. No other health issues...knock on wood, besdies coccidia, which is common here where I live. They are so friendly, come when I call them, let me carry them around and anything I want. My roo is so sweet that I was trimming his fluff around his eyes so he could see, that I layed him on his side in my lap and went trimming away with full size kitchen shears, and he just sat there!! Get a few...why not lol.

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I can't say much on my experience because I just bought my first 2 whites about 10 days ago.
    I wanted some because they are just so darn cute and the fact that they are excellent broodies just makes them that much more desirable to me.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Silkies are great. Very winter hardy and I haven't had but one health issue where one of my sweet pullets was pecked on the head and suffered brain damage. I don't believe it is common, as I had Silkies for about 3 years and this was the first time this ever happened.
    They are wonderful moms and if you can keep them from going broody one you, are terrific winter layers as well.

Get some, you won't regret it. [​IMG]

5. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    I have two silkies and they are not at all a pain..there fluffy-ness actually makes them more unique then some breeds....and they are easy to handle, tame, nice, and get very broody, (if you need more chicks, and not want to use an incubator)...

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I love my Silkies. They have cute personalities and make great pets. All three of my Silkies are good layers.

7. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I love my silkies. My white roo Moogie will lay in my lap on his back and I rub his chest. He closes his eyes and just goes limp.

8. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Yeah, they are soooo cute. They rooster silkies crow, right? (not to sound stupid...)

I was just curious - what is coccidia?[​IMG]

9. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Some people (around where I live) don't think they are practical because they are not heavy layers. But I LOVE sitting and watching them free range. They are just so darn cute!!!!

jackie

10. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    so what city are you from?

I'm in yuma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by