Silky acting strange!

SoCalChicky

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2013
N San Diego
My 14 week old silky is acting drunk...she just recovered from a 10 day course of coidistat or whatever it's called for cocci. I was going to let her out today but decided to wait until tonight...she was fine after day one of treatment and I kept her in quarantine from our 22 others. I already brought her back once from deaths door at a week old from a nasty case of pasty butt. She is a fighter so I'm hoping for the best but now I'm totally stressed again :/

I let her out today and she slightly stumbled a couple times during a half hour. She would peck at the ground and then jerk her head as if she was going to peck but only made it half way...do it again, then truly peck..make sense? just jerky head movements...then I put her in the coop at dusk and she seemed fine..went out 10 min later and she was swaying around and stumbling much more. Such a quick onset...any ideas??

I know this has been asked a lot..already did a search...didn't find anything specific to ending a course of cocci meds.

TYIA!

I had a chick that did this, only she was 4 weeks old. She was off balance and couldnt stand up. I separated her, and fed and watered her through a syringe. I also gave her vitamin E oil from a soft gel. I gave her one every day for four days, and she started being able to keep her balance and walk on her own. Now she is three years old and has won multiple awards at poultry shows. This may not be the same but hopefully it helps! vitamin E also makes the feathers shinier and fuller. So even if this isn't the solution it cant hurt the chicken to try

Ten days is pretty long for cocci meds--usually 5-7 days is max. She needs vitamins right now plus probiotics or cultured yogurt to replace what she has lost with the treatment. PolyVisol baby vitamins 2 drops a day would help. All chickens who got treatment need it too, so chick vitamins in the water might be easier.

Last edited:
Crap
Ten days is pretty long for cocci meds--usually 5-7 days is max.  She needs vitamins right now plus probiotics or cultured yogurt to replace what she has lost with the treatment.  PolyVisol baby vitamins 2 drops a day would help.  All chickens who got treatment need it too, so chick vitamins in the water might be easier.
crap! It says on the bag 3 days one strength then 1-2 weeks another weaker strength solution. I knew that seemed long. Maybe she got too much medicine.

I have been giving her home fermented plain kefir which she gobbled right up. I'll grab some vit E oil, how much should I give her?

Ty!

Actually, you can give a second round of Corid at half strength following the first treatment, or after waiting a certain amount of time. I'm just not familiar with the one you are using. I would give a multivitamin like PolyVisol baby vitamins, since they lose a lot of vitamin A andK.

Back
Top Bottom