Silver Laced Barnevelder Chicks/Hatching Eggs?

The second roo looks very clean to me, in the picture he doesn't seem to be showing any mahogony in the shoulders the way mine do, so just guessing I would say he is S/S. He still has a way to go on type and has a tail that is more like Plymouth Rock, but I like his color..

If you breed him to your nicest type Barnie hens you should get a good number of S/ pullets and then you can select them for type and breed them back to him and select again for type in their progeny.

I have been seeing nice Barnie type in my LF silver project after three times breeding back, though I have to admit I am fighting the red color bleeding through by taking this approach. This fall I have noticed that my 2013 hens molted in with more reddish bleeding than they had in the pullet year. At least that is how it appears to my eye. So when I am comparing my pullets from 2014 to the hens from 2013 what looks like progress in better silver could be a comparison of year one to year two. Time will tell.

You are right this is a slow project, demanding patience. I think that makes your progress all the more valuable. Nice work.

Andy

Yes, some of my 2013 hens are showing red now that they are molting. I was thinking the same thing about my 2014s - that I'll have to wait until next fall to see their "true color".

Although I wish this wasn't happening to yours too, it does make me feel a lot better!
wink.png

Thanks for the encouragement!

Donna

I have a small flock of five bantams from Greenfire Farms, and will be setting their eggs in a few weeks to build up some stock. I gave away three cockerels last year at a swap, maybe they're still out there somewhere.

This guy's a Hedemora, but there's a barnie in the background.

Back
Top Bottom