Silver-Laced Sebright crossed with Orpington?

Quote:
The buff bird could have been hiding the blue, also I have Leghorn buff orp cross that the white barely covers the buff.

If the father was a white leghorn, the blue area would be white. Buff birds ( esp. buff leghorns)often carry dominant white to get rid of any black that may show in the tail or wings. Dominant white does not inhibit the expression of red pigment like it inhibits black pigment. This is why you can have a dominant white bird that is buff in color.

The buff bird could have been carrying blue- but the blue would show in the wings or tail- that is why buffs often carry dominant white.

Dominant white does not inhibit the expression of red pigments that is why your white leghorn and buff cross has all the buff color.

I worked with dominant white for over six years and I have seen all kinds of expressions with dominant white. Of the 100s of birds I raised, the dominant white gene never left large areas of a bird black. Some showed specks and partial feathers that were black.

Tim

Quote:
The buff bird could have been hiding the blue, also I have Leghorn buff orp cross that the white barely covers the buff.

If the father was a white leghorn, the blue area would be white. Buff birds ( esp. buff leghorns)often carry dominant white to get rid of any black that may show in the tail or wings. Dominant white does not inhibit the expression of red pigment like it inhibits black pigment. This is why you can have a dominant white bird that is buff in color.

The buff bird could have been carrying blue- but the blue would show in the wings or tail- that is why buffs often carry dominant white.

Dominant white does not inhibit the expression of red pigments that is why your white leghorn and buff cross has all the buff color.

I worked with dominant white for over six years and I have seen all kinds of expressions with dominant white. Of the 100s of birds I raised, the dominant white gene never left large areas of a bird black. Some showed specks and partial feathers that were black.

Tim

Tim, couldnt the blue gene be hidden by a Malanisers just like the black gene is hidden in the buffs?

Quote:
I do my own experimental crosses and I read and analyze research manuscripts from scientific journals. I am currently writing a book on chicken genetics. It is very different from the other books on the market. For example, one book on the market has a small paragraph on dominant white- I have seven pages on dominant white with information from 6 different studies and two books. Most of what I put into the book is from research articles but I do include observations I have made. I cite all of the information in the book. I spend about 3-6 hours a day writing in the book- I analyze all of the information I can find on each subject.

Genetics 101

I am currently analyzing papers on the birchen allele and how it interacts with other genes or alleles. I am also doing crossings that deal with the birchen allele.

For example, Campo and Alverez did a study dealing with a birchen Spanish breed- He crossed the birchen bird with a columbian restricted bird- none of the offspring showed any columbian restriction- he did other crossings and concluded that the columbian gene does not cause restriction ( columbian pattern) in birds that are birchen. On the other hand, Kimball crossed birchen and columbian restricted birds and his results revealed that the columbian gene does cause a modified restriction on birchen birds. Who is correct?

Evidently there are different kinds of columbian like genes floating around ( Smyth says the same thing) - it is information like this that the other books on the market do not discuss. There is a also gene out there in the chicken population that causes a modified restriction on the black breasted red ( wild type) but causes lacing on the breast of birchen birds. The two E locus alleles interact with this gene differently because you get a different expression on birchen and wild type plumages.

You have to understand that the blue gene works on black produced by the E locus allele ( body, wings, tail) . The blue allele does not dilute black that is produced by the melanotic or the pattern genes. Black that is in secondary color patterns ( lacing) and black found in the pyle zone ( due to melanotic) are not diluted to blue by the blue gene.
The blue gene does not dilute red pigments like it does black pigments.

Lavender birds (especially females) will have an even color of diluted black over the entire bird. Plus any red found on the bird will be diluted to a buff color. Lavender works differently than blue.

Dominant white ( when homozygous) will dilute all black pigment to a white color- it does not matter what gene controls the black pigment. Dominant white does not work on red pigments so you can have a dominant white bird with red in the plumage - like a red pyle.

Tim

Well, what is everyone's best guess on the parentage?

I want to go to the farm and see whether I can spot any other type of rooster?

But are we now thinking the Leghorn could have been the father and the white from him is not showing well? Is that possible? But this rooster's head looks so much like the Bantie's, except his eyes are different but maybe the Buff Orpington's eyes came through?

Quote:
No white leghorn in the bird. White leghorns are dominant white- the bird would be buff with white in the tail and hackles if it had a white leghorn as a parent .

Tim

I got the eggs from another man who has only 2 types of roosters, or so he claims: 1 is a Silver-Laced Sebright, and the other rooster is a White Leghorn.

Today people in other groups are saying he looks part raptor, with the sharp beak, which my SO suggested a long time ago. Do you think a Buff Orpington might have mated with a hawk or golden eagle??? Or a pheasant????

Back
Top Bottom