Silver Laced Wyandotte? Pullet or cockerel? almost 6 wks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TN Henny Penny, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Firearia

Firearia Songster

100% sure it's a boy, I had a pullet around twenty weeks old and her wattles and comb were like that. [​IMG]

Do you have a possibility of keeping him? He's really cute!

2. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Firearia - thanks so much! Yes, he's cute and because he's so distinct, I don't see how we can let him go! My kids love him and he's the only one with a name (so there will be no eating him). We've not considered showing, but maybe he'll be pretty enough? [​IMG]

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    One thing to keep in mind, most of the time the "free bonus chick" from hatcheries are roosters as are most of the "packing peanuts" extras that they put in the box for warmth. If you are allowed to have roosters where you are, and he is well behaved, I would keep him. I love having a rooster around!

4. Firearia

Firearia Songster

Quote:Exactly, it's always good to have one roo. They're so much fun too! I love when they call the hens over when they find something to eat. [​IMG]

5. chickenfarmer17

chickenfarmer17 Chirping

Mar 7, 2011
    Preston County WV
    rooster

6. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Now that our first flock is almost 5 mos old, I thought I'd provide some updated photos - the 'bonus' chick is most definitely a roo and crowing very proudly these days! We're also getting 2-3 eggs a day, so far!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Thanks for the updated photo! Nice chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: