Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

Pics

This last one just doesn't have a tail! What do you guys think, pullet or roo tails, they are almost two weeks old

Hello again y'all! I wanted to post some updated photos of our SLW chicks. I posted on Easter when our chicks (4 SLW, 4 BO) were three weeks old because I suspected we had a rooster. They are now six weeks old (as of yesterday) & I believe we might have THREE roosters. :-( I am hoping that it may be easier to tell a possible sex at this point. I'm fairly certain I know the answer on two of them, but I honestly can't tell about the one with a rose comb (the one I originally thought was a roo). Any input/opinions y'all have would be most appreciated. The farm where we got them told us at the time that if we ended up with any roos, they would swap them out for pullets, so we want to do that before they get too old if possible. The photos below are: 1) the one I am most confident is a roo; 2) a group shot so you can see them all; 3) the one I am 98% sure is a pullet; 4) the rose comb that I now think might be a pullet.

Thanks so much!

Hello again y'all! I wanted to post some updated photos of our SLW chicks. I posted on Easter when our chicks (4 SLW, 4 BO) were three weeks old because I suspected we had a rooster. They are now six weeks old (as of yesterday) & I believe we might have THREE roosters. :-( I am hoping that it may be easier to tell a possible sex at this point. I'm fairly certain I know the answer on two of them, but I honestly can't tell about the one with a rose comb (the one I originally thought was a roo). Any input/opinions y'all have would be most appreciated. The farm where we got them told us at the time that if we ended up with any roos, they would swap them out for pullets, so we want to do that before they get too old if possible. The photos below are: 1) the one I am most confident is a roo; 2) a group shot so you can see them all; 3) the one I am 98% sure is a pullet; 4) the rose comb that I now think might be a pullet. Thanks so much!
I would advise you to cull and follow a breed that is more ornamental Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if ornamental breeds are a good fit for us since we want our flock to be dual-purpose. Thanks for the input, though!

I'm not sure if ornamental breeds are a good fit for us since we want our flock to be dual-purpose. Thanks for the input, though!

Welcome to BYC!

Your first one with the single comb is definitely a cockerel. I'm undecided on the other two. A couple more photos of each of them would be helpful.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to BYC!

Your first one with the single comb is definitely a cockerel. I'm undecided on the other two. A couple more photos of each of them would be helpful.

Edited by Staff
Thank you! Here are some more photos of the one with the rose comb & the second one that I am afraid is a cockerel. In the first photo, the chick you confirmed as a cockerel is on the right & one of the chicks in question is on the left. In the second photo the rose comb is on the right & the cockerel is on the left. In the third photo the other chick that is possibly a cockerel is on the right. Do you have any advice as to when to swap them out (age in weeks) in order to make sure we get pullets? Also, if these photos aren't adequate, I'm happy to try and get more tomorrow. Thanks again for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom