Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

i was told today.. when i bought my baby roo to go with my baby girls , that their comb is more prevalent.. so i come back home with the little guy and my girls have more of an indent where the comb will be growing and the rood who is SMALLer than the girls has his little rose.

SLW have rose combs. if one has a single comb id question if its a mix.

Quote:
Yes, the standard calls for a rose comb, but single combs do pop up....especially in hatchery stock where they aren't very picky about who's in their breeding flock. It doesn't mean it's a mix.

Last edited:
caf.gif

Was your theory on the wing feather sexing something to use to identify the males from the females??
Was the roo's you marked correct?

I have silver laced wyandotte I have 1 male and 3 female when they are under 3 days old. I guessed and looked on you tube, and got it right i have never had chickens before all new what i learned is the females if you pick them up and kinda hold them like a baby kitten and their leg hang down, then female if they draw legs up its male.the other way is on the wings. the feathers as chicks females chick feathers go thick then thin, or tall and little, but harder to tell the older they get best to check between 2 and 3 days.males chicks if you stretch their wings out carefully, will all be one length. on you tube, very good info, and I was correct on mine. 1st try just from watching others
or try.
which is with a teenager, and kids believe it or not can really teach us adults some good things I watched this one and the other one.. also when they start getting older and start to mature. i found that my males generally mature faster than females, or my breed at least the males matured way faster then females.I have in beginning 2 males and three females. and after watching both the dirty job, and other video I took a guess I had to boys and 3 girls and was correct, but i didn't do the venting just picking them up, and watching their feet, and checking the feather's on the wings at 2 days old. Hope it Helps.

I have two SLW and two GLW chicks all hatched at the end of February. They seem to be growing and developing much slower that the Maran or Buff Orp. hatched the same day. And their feather patterns came in slowly too. None of them have combs yet but now three clearly have the triangle pattern that looks to be female female but I see that the other (a SLW) has the same more diffused flecks of white in his silver/black feathers especially on it's back as the chick in the photo above. So.... I guess I can't keep overlooking all the chest bumping and back mounting....

Last edited:
I breed Silver laced Wyandottes (L/F), I have noticed that the chicks we hatch are slightly sex linked from day 1.
The Male chicks have alot more white on their chests and have very white shoulders on their wings, whereas the pullets were more mottled and didn't have as much white on their bellies, heads or shoulders.

I've tested this theory over the last 3 years and bought in hatching eggs from all over the UK ( to make sure that my stock weren't impure, and were the same as everyone elses). Overall I have tested eggs from over 12 breeders in the UK and hatched around 230 to test the theory. All the chicks I hatched from these hatching eggs were also sex linked.

I separate the 'sex linked' males and females. The suspected males all grew up to be cockerels and the suspected females all grew up to be hens :)

Back
Top Bottom