Silver Sulfadiazine to heal an injured goose beak.

SunshineMary

Chirping
Jun 11, 2016
Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Our Pilgrim gander, Uncle Waldo, is like an insatiably curious toddler and gets into EVERYTHING. Well, he just had to figure out why the apple tree saplings had chicken wire around them, so he stuck his big beak into the fencing and cut it badly:

Our vet cleaned it and closed the wound with surgical glue, but as the skin dried out, the wound opened up:

Our vet then had us start cleaning it with iodine and coating it with a little silver sulfadiazine cream, and the wound then began to heal incredibly quickly. Look how much better in just one week (his beak is dirty because he was rooting in the mud right before I snapped the picture, but you can see how much it has healed):

Just thought I'd share that tip; silver sulfadiazine works great to heal injured beaks!

Our Pilgrim gander, Uncle Waldo, is like an insatiably curious toddler and gets into EVERYTHING. Well, he just had to figure out why the apple tree saplings had chicken wire around them, so he stuck his big beak into the fencing and cut it badly:

Our vet cleaned it and closed the wound with surgical glue, but as the skin dried out, the wound opened up:

Our vet then had us start cleaning it with iodine and coating it with a little silver sulfadiazine cream, and the wound then began to heal incredibly quickly. Look how much better in just one week (his beak is dirty because he was rooting in the mud right before I snapped the picture, but you can see how much it has healed):

Just thought I'd share that tip; silver sulfadiazine works great to heal injured beaks!
Thank you so much for sharing your ganders story. I have one the same way but has never injured himself to that extreme. Thank goodness. But did want to say my dad was given some Silver Sulfadiazine for when they took off some skin cancer and he never used it. When he passed away last summer I was going through his things and found it, I am so glad I kept it now I know I can use it on my birds. Thank you for letting us know and great news your gander healed up so great. @SunshineMary and Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom