Single Hen Won't Sleep in Coop: Will She Freeze?

anniegal

Songster
Oct 3, 2020
Central Wisconsin
4 month old EE... 1 of 3 littles.

The other 2 happily head to the coop and "their" end of the roost (away from the bigs) every night. But Hester has chosen the highest rafter in the run and settles there every night.

No predator concerns, but temps in WI have already been pretty low (20's) so I AM worried she'll freeze! 🥶

In every other way they've integrated well and have been for about a month...

Do I try to change her behavior? (I've read plenty of good suggestions here on how!) Or just let her be her introverted (chilly) self?!?

Is her chosen roosting spot protected from the climate? If so she should be fine with those temperatures.

Have you tried consistently putting her in the coop at dark? If so, how does she react?

You really should put her in, so she understands that's a safe place to rest. If there's squabbles at roosting time try to partition the roost to fit 2 birds per section of the bar. Make sure the partition is 5 inches bigger than the chicken using it.

Is her chosen roosting spot protected from the climate? If so she should be fine with those temperatures.

Have you tried consistently putting her in the coop at dark? If so, how does she react?
I've not done anything at all yet, partly because I haven't been sure if I should worry about it. Her lonely spot is quite well protected.
But also because she's up there so high it will be a challenge to get her down. Guess I need to plan to get out there before she roosts... 😁

I've not done anything at all yet, partly because I haven't been sure if I should worry about it. Her lonely spot is quite well protected.
But also because she's up there so high it will be a challenge to get her down. Guess I need to plan to get out there before she roosts... 😁
Try coaxing her in with a little scratch or favorite treat before roost time.

You really should put her in, so she understands that's a safe place to rest. If there's squabbles at roosting time try to partition the roost to fit 2 birds per section of the bar. Make sure the partition is 5 inches bigger than the chicken using it.
We do have one Polish hen - one of the bigs who's always been at the bottom of the original pecking order - who for awhile was placing herself at the top of the ramp like a guard at roosting time, soon after the littles joined the flock. She would chase the other 2 out of the coop but they weren't having it so she eventually gave up on keeping them out.

Poor Hester however appears to now be the lowest bird - plus she seems to be kind of a loner (I can relate to her introverted ways) and completely non-confrontational... All of which has ended up with her roosting solo. 🥺

I'm not sure how to make partitions work but I'll see if my clever husband can come up with something. Thanks for the suggestion!

We do have one Polish hen - one of the bigs who's always been at the bottom of the original pecking order - who for awhile was placing herself at the top of the ramp like a guard at roosting time, soon after the littles joined the flock. She would chase the other 2 out of the coop but they weren't having it so she eventually gave up on keeping them out.

Poor Hester however appears to now be the lowest bird - plus she seems to be kind of a loner (I can relate to get introverted ways) and completely non-confrontational... All of which has ended up with her roosting solo. 🥺

I'm not sure how to make partitions work but I'll see if my clever husband can come up with something. Thanks for the suggestion!
Anything works for a partition wall, take a 17" square piece of cardboard, fold an inch at bottom and staple it to roost. Then just set her there at dark/lights out.

Anything works for a partition wall, take a 17" square piece of cardboard, fold an inch at bottom and staple it to roost. Then just set her there at dark/lights out.
Not sure that would be sturdy enough.
Beware of staples, they can become deadly or at least injurious.
@azygous has an excellent examples of roost partitions, maybe she will post it.

@anniegal you may also have to block off the run rafter to keep any bird from using it.
Pics of both roosts may garner good solutions.

Two ways to put up partitions on a roost. You can hang feed sacks from above and tack them up or screw resin latice cut to fit to perch supports. Either style really works well to cut down on roosting squabbling.

Not pictured is my smaller coop with a latice fastened to the ceiling over a perch with right angle hardware. Lots of different ways to attach them if you can get creative.
P1010007.jpeg
P1010018.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom