Singleton Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by merrymutts, Aug 13, 2016.

1. merrymutts

merrymutts Out Of The Brooder

We just had a hatch finally....Day 24 of setting 10 Jubilee Orpingtons.

This is the only one hatched and probably will be as none of the other eggs are even showing sign of "pipping". We will let them go a few more days to be sure.

Other than the fact that " Chicklet " is imprinted to me as Mama...are there any other things to be concerned about when raising a singleton chick ??

I will post a photo of Chicklet this evening.

2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    COOL POST PICCCCCCCSS PLEEEZZ XXX [​IMG]

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    It isn't good for chicks to be alone, so maybe you could get another to keep Chicklet company if no more eggs hatch. Do you have any older chickens that Chicklet can be introduced to when he/she is a few weeks old?

4. merrymutts

merrymutts Out Of The Brooder

Cackle Hatchery is right down the road from us...30 miles; we can pick another baby chicks from them if we have to.

So....without further ado....meet " Chicklet " !!! Don't know whether it's a roo or a pullet yet. It's already imprinting to me so it's going to be one spoiled pet chicken.[​IMG]

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Aww, so adorable! It would be wise to get at least one or two more chicks for Chicklet. Even if they do have a lot of human interaction, chickens are flock animals and need other chickens around to keep them company. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by