Sit'n on the porch

Snowing here again today. I need to go out and freshen the water and provide feed. They have been locked in the complex all week with no free ranging because of snow cover. With more snow today, that's going to be extended.

Additionally, I watched a juvenile Coopers Hawk hunting in my next door neighbors yard a couple of days ago. They may be locked in for some time just to keep them safe.

Yesterday morning was the first morning at 20 degrees. I opened the pop door and everyone came out! :wee

It could get bitterly cold again tonight, but then we have a warm up which includes 40s and rain. :tongue Hubby likes the snow for cross county skiing. Can't it stay nice and fluffy for another couple weeks? It doesn't have to be single digits, the 20s would be fine!

(but I'll take the warm up, gladly!)

Yesterday morning was the first morning at 20 degrees. I opened the pop door and everyone came out! :wee

It could get bitterly cold again tonight, but then we have a warm up which includes 40s and rain. :tongue Hubby likes the snow for cross county skiing. Can't it stay nice and fluffy for another couple weeks? It doesn't have to be single digits, the 20s would be fine!

(but I'll take the warm up, gladly!)
Did you get your bone broth made? I need to do a batch too. When my freezer doesn’t want to close because of too many bags of bones it’s time! I’ve taken to canning it so I have more room in the freezer to hoard bones! :gig

Did you get your bone broth made?
Yes, I did! And canned.

I used as many bones as usual, but even after sitting and cooling over night, the broth is very liquid, not at all jelled. Does the high temp and long processing of pressure canning make it "break down?"

Even when I have used fewer bones, and some of them are once-used, I get better gelling when I don't can it. :confused:

Yes, I did! And canned.

I used as many bones as usual, but even after sitting and cooling over night, the broth is very liquid, not at all jelled. Does the high temp and long processing of pressure canning make it "break down?"

Even when I have used fewer bones, and some of them are once-used, I get better gelling when I don't can it. :confused:
Gosh I don’t know! My canned stock is pretty liquid too.

Gosh I don’t know! My canned stock is pretty liquid too.
Next time I'll freeze it, I think. Even though the broth was still pretty hot, it took a LONG time for the canner to come to pressure. I read that broth needed to be canned at 11 pounds, and I have 5,10, and 15 pound rockers. Then I read that the 11 pounds was for a dial canner, and one with the rockers/weights could be canned at 10 pounds. But by then I already had the 15 pound rocker on and was waiting for the pressure to build, and it wouldn't be safe to take it off at that point.

I think the burners on my stove are not that great, so that might be part of the reason it took so long.

Good Monday morning,
chickens and dogs are squared away,
I made beef bone broth on friday to be used about a 1/2 cup at a time on the dogs food,
this morning I have a pot of turkey soup started,,
Lots of water rolling down hill to the hood canal, its very soggy out
image_67211009.JPG ,

We had a nice lunch at the boat shed yesterday, it was pouring buckets

image_67172353.JPG

Have a great day,

Back
Top Bottom