Six Chickens Adopted Us - Need to Find Home - One already killed by hawk.

Very well said!
Thank you for the kind words. That is very much appreciated. I personally know nothing about chickens accept my parents bought some chicks for easter when I was kid and supposedly they were supposed to die. Not my chickens. They became full grown and I named everyone. I came home from school one day and they had been butchered. My mom cooked them for dinner which I refused to eat and had a peanut butter sandwich in memory of the one chicken I named Peanut Butter. I've never changed. Right now we have a horse, six cats and a bird. That is small in comparison to what we used to have. I just can't stand the thought of her suffering, but perhaps you are right. Maybe she is tougher than I give her credit. Thanks for your words of advice. Much appreciated.
Thank you for the kind words. That is very much appreciated. I personally know nothing about chickens accept my parents bought some chicks for easter when I was kid and supposedly they were supposed to die. Not my chickens. They became full grown and I named everyone. I came home from school one day and they had been butchered. My mom cooked them for dinner which I refused to eat and had a peanut butter sandwich in memory of the one chicken I named Peanut Butter. I've never changed. Right now we have a horse, six cats and a bird. That is small in comparison to what we used to have. I just can't stand the thought of her suffering, but perhaps you are right. Maybe she is tougher than I give her credit. Thanks for your words of advice. Much appreciated.
Amazingly, she is still alive. How, I have no idea. It got down to 6 last night with -10 wind chills. Hopefully those Colorado Spruce trees are protecting her some. Today we are trying to build a portable wall to go between the chickens in the coop and outdoors. Perhaps she will happen into the coop while she can see her siblings and we will be able to catch her. If that doesn't work, we are thinking of trying to get the five into a large dog crate so we can keep the entire coop open for her to wander in hopefully. Tonight will be another super cold night. Trying to make sure she has plenty of water and feed so she can at least remain strong...and then, there is always the hawks. More to come. Thanks for listening.

Amazingly, she is still alive. How, I have no idea. It got down to 6 last night with -10 wind chills. Hopefully those Colorado Spruce trees are protecting her some. Today we are trying to build a portable wall to go between the chickens in the coop and outdoors. Perhaps she will happen into the coop while she can see her siblings and we will be able to catch her. If that doesn't work, we are thinking of trying to get the five into a large dog crate so we can keep the entire coop open for her to wander in hopefully. Tonight will be another super cold night. Trying to make sure she has plenty of water and feed so she can at least remain strong...and then, there is always the hawks. More to come. Thanks for listening.
Last night we were finally able to get the hen. She was roosting low enough in the tree so we pulled our pickup under the tree and hubby got in bed with a hook and we got her down. She seems to be fine. We did put her in the coop with her siblings. It was so frigid last night. Whew. In the process, the other black chicken who was not a part of the flock was spotted by our flashlights along our other tree line, very low. We are now thinking she has had her wings clipped as she cannot fly very high. We were able to capture her as well but did not want to put her in with the other chickens as they do not know each other. She is in the pole barn in a portable dog cage with food and water, a make shift perch and hay to keep her warmer. I'll have to start a new post to see how we introduce her to the rest of the flock. She has not eaten anything yet so not sure if she is okay. The original hen, however, seems to be doing well with her other five siblings. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

Yes. No luck. Okay. Update is 5 of the six are in the kennel. One escaped and is all by itself now, and of course, in a tree about 14 feet high. Can she survive the 20 degree temps by herself? Frantic!!!
I Googled chicken farms near you, maybe these people have some advice?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200215-162032_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200215-162032_Chrome.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 8
The property is posted with no trespassing signs and they have security cameras all around the property as well as a huge white fence. Not a good situation. Five have been put in the kennel now. We thought we had all of them when we closed the door but she got spooked and took off. Tried to herd her but not she's back up in the pine tree about 12-14' up. Can she even survive on her own by herself in 20 degree temps?
Well, you could try calling the local police and asking about any illegal activities next door and explain that you're trying to care for their pets

Yay! Glad you caught her. You are awesome for helping!
Thank you, but not really. My entire home is filled with unwanted animals and through the years I have had any sort of animal. The most interesting were the two domestic bunnies that someone threw away probably thinking they could survive on their own. We had a heck of a time catching the because rabbits are faster than even chickens. Took us about four days with those also. Finally caught the boy in a live trap but the little girl wanted nothing to do with it. Decided to put the boy in a cage and put him in the garage. That took another day in a half but she finally came into the garage by her brother and we dropped the garage door down. I really think people should have to get a license to own any pet.

Thank you, but not really. My entire home is filled with unwanted animals and through the years I have had any sort of animal. The most interesting were the two domestic bunnies that someone threw away probably thinking they could survive on their own. We had a heck of a time catching the because rabbits are faster than even chickens. Took us about four days with those also. Finally caught the boy in a live trap but the little girl wanted nothing to do with it. Decided to put the boy in a cage and put him in the garage. That took another day in a half but she finally came into the garage by her brother and we dropped the garage door down. I really think people should have to get a license to own any pet.

Respect for helping these chickens and other runaway and neglected pets. It shouldn’t be hard to find a new home for them cause chickens are such amazing pets. If you feed them, they even give you eggs in return.
I hope you keep us informed.

Back
Top Bottom