Six Chickens Adopted Us - Need to Find Home - One already killed by hawk.

Pics
What was your location again? I can look up chicken farms for you. I remember finding one.
Thank you. Not quite sure I'm ready to throw in the towel yet. There is one in Battle Creek which is near me. Just haven't made that decision yet. Would like to get the rooster to a happier attitude first.

Sorry to hear about your rooster struggles! I recently ran into a similar issue with my rescue guy, but no serious damage was done and he has since been a pretty good boy. He started getting funny about food, and quick, jerky movements were startling him. The trick was to eliminate whatever he was interpreting as a threat. Also I try not to hand feed him anymore because he was getting too snatchy. I was also told that springtime hormones are peaking, so sometimes the flare-ups only last a few weeks and then everything settles back down. Hope you can at least avoid getting hurt, that is not ok!

@BDutch yes I acquired my rooster from his previous owners because he kept wandering into my yard for food! He is a bantam and was with a bunch of larger breeds that were probably getting better pickings. I sure am glad I bought him because since winter set in, he is the sole surviving member of his flock. Wish I could have saved more...Not sure what goes on with their animals but I think the chickens were left out in the cold. It's sad but I'm grateful at least for my boy! I found a small hen for him on craigslist to keep him company through the winter. Hopefully a few more hens once it warms up! :)
Awesome! Good luck with him. Also...@kcan2 thanks for the advice about spring time. I also had someone tell me to use a squirt bottle with water and vinegar and squirt the big guy the next time he tries to attack. In the meantime, feeding and watering will occur once they all roost. Always put in enough to handle them for two or three days anyway.

Awesome! Good luck with him. Also...@kcan2 thanks for the advice about spring time. I also had someone tell me to use a squirt bottle with water and vinegar and squirt the big guy the next time he tries to attack. In the meantime, feeding and watering will occur once they all roost. Always put in enough to handle them for two or three days anyway.
Squirt bottles are pretty good if the rooster is only mildly aggressive. Why vinegar?

Last edited:
Squirt cans are pretty good if the rooster is only mildly aggressive. Why vinegar?
What I was told is chickens hate the smell of vinegar so they associate the squirt with the smell. I have been going into their pen area alot and giving them all treats. Now when I go in and he sees me he immediately runs to where I am. I'm not sure if he is in attack mode or he just is associating me with his treats. Someone told me he does that because he is showing his authority and letting me know who is boss but he cackles little murmurs as well. Like I said, I have no nothing about chickens but we'll see where it leads.

Hi. Just been reading this post now, and wondering how the birds are getting on? Lovely to read about your efforts in caring for them. Your rooster might be too aggressive for this....but I know mine calmed down once I gave them regular cuddles....now I know you might not want to cuddle a very vicious rooster... just a thought. I remember something I read when I had a problem with a nasty rooster... Don't remember where it was but I do remember it said 'let the rooster think of you as a treat fairy'. Cracked me up but it did work. My two roosters get nothing but treats and cuddles, and yes, they are spoilt, but they love it and they never peck me. I hate the thought of a rooster being killed for that. For anything, really. Hope all is going well.

Be carefull giving feed at night. This can cause trouble with mice and rats. Sure you don't want that to happen.

Not all roosters behave well enough for keeping them as byc. I’ve been reading that aggressive behaviour is hereditary. If you are still afraid of him, I would give him to someone who likes him for the the freezer or oven.

Last edited:
What I was told is chickens hate the smell of vinegar so they associate the squirt with the smell. I have been going into their pen area alot and giving them all treats. Now when I go in and he sees me he immediately runs to where I am. I'm not sure if he is in attack mode or he just is associating me with his treats. Someone told me he does that because he is showing his authority and letting me know who is boss but he cackles little murmurs as well. Like I said, I have no nothing about chickens but we'll see where it leads.
Hey Michigander, how's it going? There are a few really good threads about rooster & 1 article I ran across this week. Took me an hour to read all the way thru it. Great wisdom! I grew up in BC area, do you know where Beadle lake is? I miss The Barn Theatre and the apple orchard out near it. Apples in fall & strawberries in the spring (always you-pick).:gigI'd get in trouble for "eat one" then one in the bucket.

How you handling the late snow/melt/snow again fun this year? How have the chickens all handled the wetness?

Back
Top Bottom