Six hens, no eggs? .

2boxers

Songster
11 Years
Feb 16, 2008
Halifax Co Virginia
I swear I think God just loves laughing His perfect butt off at me. We started with 8 chicks back in early March-they were given to me by some one who knows about as much about raising chickens as I do. Those chicks turned out to be cornish x and even though I had grown very attached to them, we had to "process" them. Three of those chicks were silkies-and I am finding out that while I adore them and their antics, they aren't exactly egg producers, are they? No.

So we bought half a dozen straight run RIRs and guess what? We got five roos. The one hen died. No worries-I love my chick-a-roo boys and the feeling is mutual.

Then I found a lady that I know & trust who was willing to let go of half a dozen hens who had been laying, but she said they were molting, so I could expect very few eggs for a while. No worries, I can live with that. One of the hens is an EE and in 3 weeks, we have gotten four green eggs from her. The rest? Nothing.

Now, I don't require that they lay eggs. They earn their keep in entertainment value (we sit and watch them in the evenings. It's better than MASH or even Two and half men.) but it's beginning to be a sore point. My whole family is joking about my lack of eggs. Even though my hens aren't laying, I find that I am constantly walking around with egg on my face, so to speak. My husband is raising Caine because he's paying for feed every week (those girls can really eat!) and he's not getting any fresh eggs.

What gives? Anyone have any advice? Any thoughts? Any eggs?

I'm sorry. Maybe I just needed to vent. I love my chick-a-roos, but I'm so tired of being the butt of the family jokes.

Oh, and my bantams? They are white silkies and I have not seen the first egg from them, either, and they are approaching six months old. The bums.

this has nothing to do with your post, but because you have boxers i was wondering if you got to see the video of the guy singing the boxer puppies to sleep? If you have not, and want to, pm me your email and i will send it to you. Its so cute and unbelievable. I just dont know how to post a video
idunno.gif

Wendy

Last edited:
Now a nice big brown speckled one. They are laughing their feathered tails off.

Actually, I am amazed they have decided to lay today. The guy who owns the land behind us has allowed a logging company to come in and clear cut his land (ruins it, if you ask me, and it's done out of greed since the trees aren't diseased, but whatever) and the boys and the girls are so distressed that I thought about bringing them inside. However, one of the ladies pooped while I was out there trying to decide how to comfort them. I then remembered why they are outdoor pets.

Honestly, I think all the logging noise scared the eggs right out of them.

Well dang! It's not supposed to cool off til the weekend here.

Two eggs in one day is really something for my girls. I'm impressed. I'm going to take them some nice cool cantaloupe as a treat. I don't mind them not laying, but they mock me-they sit there & make these noises like they are straining to pop one out, then they seem to cackle, jeering me, taunting me.

I wonder if it bothers them when we take their eggs?

Quote:
I totally could have written this part. My DH keeps asking where the eggs are, and my chicks were hatched JUNE 12th!!!
ep.gif
I have 2 ducks ONE week older, and 10 ducks 2 weeks younger.

I am thinking I should have gotten quail...eggs in 5 weeks. :thun

i feel your pain. mine haven't laid an egg in three weeks. my husband is also starting to ask questions. i'm certain they are organized and plotting against me. they snicker when i walk away. they didn't care for the speech i gave them about laying. one scratched dirt onto my foot.

Back
Top Bottom