Six Week Old Cochin Is So Tiny!

My Cochin bantam is also feathering out very slowly.
It’s the only Cochin I have but all my others (6 Naked Necks & 1 Silkie) are way more feathered.
Mine is a mottled Frizzle and at almost 4 weeks it only has feathers on its feet and half it’s wings.
E987F113-B75F-4B69-B07A-E17B11A31B71.jpeg
E7690AD9-8ECE-4ED9-94B6-8A8ABA874235.jpeg

Agway should have it. You should look for the NatureWise Feather Fixer. I just realized it’s not solidly a show bird feed but we just got it for our rooster who’s looking rough and the lady who sold it to us said it works wonders for her ducks. If you can’t find it just look for another “feather feed”.

Be aware that Feather Fixer has 3.25-3.75% calcium which may not be good for birds that aren’t laying yet.

Ack. I can go to Agway tomorrow morning. I’ll wait and see if anyone else has an opinion. I don’t want to do any harm to my birds. Thanks all for responses so far

I know this might sound sarcastic on text but I promise it’s a genuine question, do you think a tiny portion mixed into their normal food could hurt them if only given for a small period of time? Because it’s really the only thing I could think of off the top of my head and I really don’t want a chick hurt from my random idea. It’s also my only idea other than feeding the chick a fresh (not store bought) hard boiled egg for the extra protein to help it grow a bit.

You don’t sound sarcastic at all. :thumbsup
I think if the OP were to mix it with the grower feed 50/50 it would be fine.
I actually do that with one of my adult birds feeders and I have a roo.
They seem to like the FF a lot.

Ok, got her. First shot is of her underside.
It does look like a pullet. I find adding a daily dose of scrambled eggs can help to feather them up quicker. It doesn't look too bad for a 6 week old chick. Keep it on a good chick starter. It will get there.

I know this might sound sarcastic on text but I promise it’s a genuine question, do you think a tiny portion mixed into their normal food could hurt them if only given for a small period of time? Because it’s really the only thing I could think of off the top of my head and I really don’t want a chick hurt from my random idea. It’s also my only idea other than feeding the chick a fresh (not store bought) hard boiled egg for the extra protein to help it grow a bit.

It sounds like a good idea. My neighbors have a few layers, and I could easily get a couple of fresh eggs from them to scramble, with or without another supplement. Couldn’t hurt!

Ack. I can go to Agway tomorrow morning. I’ll wait and see if anyone else has an opinion. I don’t want to do any harm to my birds. Thanks all for responses so far

I think if you mix it 50/50 with the grower feed it will be fine.
That will lessen the amount of calcium your bird gets.
It should be fine for the rest to.

It does look like a pullet. I find adding a daily dose of scrambled eggs can help to feather them up quicker. It doesn't look too bad for a 6 week old chick. Keep it on a good chick starter. It will get there.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, and glad you agree she’s a pullet!

Guess we’re all having scrambled eggs for breakfast every day next week! Everyone except Chicken Dad is excited for that, lol!

Feed smaller amounts of eggs as they can get looser poops on them. Since I started adding them daily to my chicks they have grown like weeds. Generally I only feed a good starter grower and the eggs until my chicks are over 8-12 weeks to avoid any deficiencies. After 3 months it's okay to add more stuff in if you want. Before that age chicks need a good ration formulated for growing chicks, and not much else.

Back
Top Bottom