Six Week Old Cochin Is So Tiny!

I have a solid black chick that you have just described exactly. 5-6 weeks old. Her feather growth is very similar. She was always small and may be a bantam.
It's warm enough her to move them outside but weather and illness have prevented my finishing the coop.
I'm following this for any other suggestions. I tried scrambled egg once and they didn't like it. IMG_20180414_163900841.jpg

I have a solid black chick that you have just described exactly. 5-6 weeks old. Her feather growth is very similar. She was always small and may be a bantam.
It's warm enough her to move them outside but weather and illness have prevented my finishing the coop.
I'm following this for any other suggestions. I tried scrambled egg once and they didn't like it.View attachment 1350746
Try a hard boiled egg or even a raw one. Cooked eggs are 91% protein and raw is 51% I believe.

I'm following this for any other suggestions. I tried scrambled egg once and they didn't like it.View attachment 1350746
The first day they will show not much interest in the eggs, sprinkle a bit of starter on them to get them to try them. The next day they get a bit more interested. Within a few days they start to look forward to them.

I prefer them scrambled as it mixes all the stuff together so every bite contains yolk and white. I microwave them, and they are easy to make.

For some reason I never got any notification of the last few responses to my thread, so I’m just seeing this now. My little Cochin is doing a bit better, but is still feathering/growing SO slowly.

I’ve been supplementing with the scrambled eggs and they love it. You mentioned that your girls don’t like it. When I was about to cook up my first batch for them, I was about to do it the way I cook eggs for my family (except for Chicken Dad, who hates eggs), which is to heat up bacon grease/butter/ghee/coconut oil, whisk the eggs up with salt and pepper, and cook on Med/High.

I was worried about the extra “stuff”, so I’ve been cooking the girls plain scrambled eggs. No seasonings, no extra fat. Cook on slightly lower heat for a little more time. They go nuts for it.

Is your little black chick doing any better? My Cochin has a way to go, but I’m seeing slow progress with her. Our weather turned, and they all went into the coop today. Fingers crossed!

My little Cochin has really taken off.
The feathers on his feet are huge now lol.
He’s 4 weeks and did a little squeaky crow the other morning! :lol:

That’s great! I’m hoping to not hear any crows, squeaky or otherwise, but I’m so happy for you!

My three Cochins have the craziest feathery feet, even my little mottled girl that I worry about. It makes them look so fancy, even though they’re only half-grown!

That’s great! I’m hoping to not hear any crows, squeaky or otherwise, but I’m so happy for you!

My three Cochins have the craziest feathery feet, even my little mottled girl that I worry about. It makes them look so fancy, even though they’re only half-grown!
Oh I know! I’ve always loved bantam Cochins because they look like they’re floating through the grass cuz you can’t see their legs or feet.
It’s like they have pantaloons :gig
So cute!
Mine’s a mottled too but he’s also frizzled.
8F28231D-6E51-4FFB-BC9A-540971DC57A9.jpeg

Oh I know! I’ve always loved bantam Cochins because they look like they’re floating through the grass cuz you can’t see their legs or feet.
It’s like they have pantaloons :gig
So cute!
Mine’s a mottled too but he’s also frizzled.
View attachment 1363406

Ooh, he’s such a cutie! Keep me posted as to how he feathers out.

Mine’s not a bantam, but Chicken Dad has taken to calling her Bantam as her given name, and I think it may stick. She’s his favorite, so he must get naming rights

For some reason I never got any notification of the last few responses to my thread, so I’m just seeing this now. My little Cochin is doing a bit better, but is still feathering/growing SO slowly.

I’ve been supplementing with the scrambled eggs and they love it. You mentioned that your girls don’t like it. When I was about to cook up my first batch for them, I was about to do it the way I cook eggs for my family (except for Chicken Dad, who hates eggs), which is to heat up bacon grease/butter/ghee/coconut oil, whisk the eggs up with salt and pepper, and cook on Med/High.

I was worried about the extra “stuff”, so I’ve been cooking the girls plain scrambled eggs. No seasonings, no extra fat. Cook on slightly lower heat for a little more time. They go nuts for it.

Is your little black chick doing any better? My Cochin has a way to go, but I’m seeing slow progress with her. Our weather turned, and they all went into the coop today. Fingers crossed!
Glad yours is doing better. Mine, too is slow and steady. From the green sheen on the feathers in the sun, I believe she/he is a bantam Australorp. I have two full size Australorps the same age. 1 cockrel, 1 pullet. The jury is still out on the sex of this one but the comb has started to turn pink and waddles are beginning to form. Feathering is getting better but still with some bald spots on and under the wings. Still active and growing and seems healthy.

Glad yours is doing better. Mine, too is slow and steady. From the green sheen on the feathers in the sun, I believe she/he is a bantam Australorp. I have two full size Australorps the same age. 1 cockrel, 1 pullet. The jury is still out on the sex of this one but the comb has started to turn pink and waddles are beginning to form. Feathering is getting better but still with some bald spots on and under the wings. Still active and growing and seems healthy.

That’s great to hear. Slow and steady wins the race, or so I’m told.

I’m also seeing bald spots filling in, and the appearance of health with slow growth.

I have faith in our little ones!!

Back
Top Bottom