size of heat plate?

KSH1

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2014
northeast Ohio
I like the idea of the heat plate and I'm looking at the Premier 1 version. Do I trust their sizing recommendation? I've ordered 18 chicks, of which 12 are standard size and the others are Jersey Giants and Brahmas. Their website says the 12" x 12" works for up to 20 chicks, but it doesn't say whether those are quail, turkeys, or something in between! Thanks!

I used the 40cm x 40cm, which I think is about 16"x16", for 15 chicks. I think that was the perfect size for them - considering how fast they grow. They used it for about four weeks and then they went outside where it was about 80 degrees anyway. If you get the plate, I recommend getting the domed plastic cover to keep them from pooping all over the top.

I've got the 12x12, but I wouldn't use it for 18 chicks. I'd use the 16x16. Instead of the plastic dome, I just use Press N Seal on top of mine. When it gets dirty, peel it off and stick new on.

I agree, I just got Rentacoop 16x16 for 16 chicks, I don't think 12X12 would work for that many and the price is not that much more to bump up one

Their website says the 12" x 12" works for up to 20 chicks,
These populations claims are as bad as the tiny dollhouse coops.
How many chicks fit can depend on ambient temps and how long they will need heat.
20 chicks under a 12x12? .....they would fit for about a week.
Go bigger and leave the top clear for them to use that too.

Thanks everyone! I thought 12" x 12" sounded small. They're not coming until mid April so it should theoretically be relatively warm, but I don't dare count on it. I'll go up a size. I like the Press N Seal idea too.

I had the same question so instead of going with one or the other size I got both, and I'm glad I did. Actually, the 12x12 was off Amazon (Titan Incubators brand) and the larger size from Premier 1. I used the small one in the beginning then switched to the larger one when I moved the chicks to a larger area. I had 21 chicks.
Also, I knew that I would be brooding chicks or ducklings again so I figured it was money well spent. I was right. I eventually bought another 12x12 as well.

I had the same question so instead of going with one or the other size I got both, and I'm glad I did. Actually, the 12x12 was off Amazon (Titan Incubators brand) and the larger size from Premier 1. I used the small one in the beginning then switched to the larger one when I moved the chicks to a larger area. I had 21 chicks.
Also, I knew that I would be brooding chicks or ducklings again so I figured it was money well spent. I was right. I eventually bought another 12x12 as well.
Did you ever set them all up next to each other end to end for 12x48?

Did you ever set them all up next to each other end to end for 12x48?
No, the most I've brooded at one time so far has been 21 chicks. I see no reason why you couldn't set up more than one heat plate though, if you had the room for it.
I've brooded day old chicks and ducklings under heat plates and have had no problems at all. I absolutely love them.

Back
Top Bottom