Skin Discoloration on my Hen

MarcyG

Songster
5 Years
Nov 28, 2018
Sebastopol, CA
While blow-drying my hen ('BigBev') after her butt-bath today, I noticed that some of her skin below her vent (in the area of her underbelly) is not the usual pink color. It appears to be a blue-ish/grayish color in a large area. Photos attached. I still see areas of pink skin on her, as she normally has, but this is the first time I've noticed that darker area. Her energy and demeanor are "off" - as is her appetite. After a butt-bath she usually feels and acts great...but you can see in the pic that she is hunched over; definitely not feeling 100%. I'm worried this could be a sign of some internal infection? BigBev is an older hen, and has not laid for about a year now.

I also sent these pics to my Vet, but she may not be back at work until Thurs or Fri this week.
Any feedback or insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_E4378.jpg
    IMG_E4378.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4377.jpg
    IMG_4377.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • BigBev-63020.jpg
    BigBev-63020.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 24
Can you feel any bloat or swelling in her lower belly? My bantam has developed ascites (water belly,) and her lower belly is blue gray. How old is she? There may be something going on that is making her feel bad. What are her droppings like?

While blow-drying my hen ('BigBev') after her butt-bath today, I noticed that some of her skin below her vent (in the area of her underbelly) is not the usual pink color. It appears to be a blue-ish/grayish color in a large area. Photos attached. I still see areas of pink skin on her, as she normally has, but this is the first time I've noticed that darker area. Her energy and demeanor are "off" - as is her appetite. After a butt-bath she usually feels and acts great...but you can see in the pic that she is hunched over; definitely not feeling 100%. I'm worried this could be a sign of some internal infection? BigBev is an older hen, and has not laid for about a year now.

I also sent these pics to my Vet, but she may not be back at work until Thurs or Fri this week.
Hi Marcy, I know this is an old post but did you ever figure out what was happening with BigBev? My hen, Hazel, has the same discoloration. I noticed today when I was washing her bottom. The discoloration was just above and then below her vent.

Did you ever happen to figure out what this was? We just put my beloved hen down a week and a half ago... She hadn't been doing well and her abdomen continued to swell. The vet said it wasnt water belly. It was firm and the ultrasound didnt show fluid. Towards the end she started having trouble breathing and making honking noises when she ate/drank. I noticed the day before we put her down that she had similar discoloration near her vent.

Did you ever happen to figure out what this was? We just put my beloved hen down a week and a half ago... She hadn't been doing well and her abdomen continued to swell. The vet said it wasnt water belly. It was firm and the ultrasound didnt show fluid. Towards the end she started having trouble breathing and making honking noises when she ate/drank. I noticed the day before we put her down that she had similar discoloration near her vent.
A swollen abdomen in hens can be from water belly, internal laying (egg masses inside the abdominal cavity,) cancer, liver disease, and heart failure, all of which can affect the liver. My guess would be cancer or internal laying both of which may feel firm. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom