Skunks vs. Dogs

bjcoop

Songster
12 Years
Mar 22, 2007
Western New York
My "good" ole hounddog tangled with a skunk that was hanging around the chicken coop. Luckily was was not hit too badly and was only half skunked.
Does anyone have a good remedy for that smell? I just detest this oder--ever since she was skunked while I was jogging with her on a local hiking trail. Had to ride home in my jeepster with that stinky dog. (PHEW)
th.gif

LOL!!! Besides a clothes pin??? I've always heard you could wash in something tomato based, sauce and water I guess and that might nuetralize the smell...seems tractor supply should carry something to neutralize the smell, maybe give them a call...while you hold your nose!! That dog probably thinks she smells so good!! My goofy dachshund smeared fresh smelly chicken poop all over the sides of her neck tonight and was sooooo proud, lol!!! Needless to say, she is clean now!! Good luck!
smile.png

I had a dog that had a few skunk encounters. I learned that the smell is stuck on the fur....it actually fades off the skin. So i learned to shave my dog right down to nothing. Then bathe the dog.....then it will go away faster.
I found the face to hold the smell the longest because i did not shave it as short......so i did that too. It really makes it go away faster.

Hi! I'm a newbie here and was scanning some recent posts when I came across your skunk v. dog query. There's a folk remedy that I've heard has had great success. (Fortunately I've never had the need to use it on one of my own critters). Use 1 qt. Hydrogen peroxide (the 3% kind you can get at any drugstore/wal-mart) 1/4 C. baking soda, and 1 tsp. dishwashing liquid (I've heard Dawn works best because it is such a good degreaser, and skunk scent is oil based). Mix all ingredients together and wash critter down well, then rinse well w/ warm water. DO NOT STORE THIS PREPARATION; it will build up pressure. Mix only as needed. Hope this does the trick! Regards, crtrlovr

i have heard the same, or adding baking soda to the tomatoes. The peroxide one is supposed to work but be careful not the get it in ears or eyes. I know my vet sells something also.

Clothes pin method could work. LOL I did try tomato juice yesterday, and it seemed to kinda work. Though I didn't try adding soda. hmmm The smell seemed to be back this morning.
She is a shorthair hound.... Here she is, under less "smelly" times, anticipating a treat!

DSC01317.jpg

Hmmm Wonder if DH would mind if I shaved Sassy with his shaver???
lau.gif

Wow Crtrlvr. That sounds good too. She's in the barn for now, living live watching the chickens, watch her (bet egg production will be down tomorrow).
Will try the peroxide mix tomorrow. Hope it's sunny!

I can help you here!

De-Skunker

1 bottle hydrogen peroxide
1/4 Cup baking soda
1 tsp dish soap

Mix the 3 ingredients together. Rub mixture into pet's coat. Lather and rinse.

You will have to do this a couple of times before all the odor is gone, but it really helps. If I were you, I'd mix a double batch each time. I think we were doing the treatment every day or every other day for at least a week. But then, our dog REALLY got skunked BAD!!!

Last edited:
Don't laugh but..........I have heard that washing the dog with a douche works well also..... Nothing will get rid of it completely all at once. Just time and a lot of airing out. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom