Sleepy chicken with a little blood in droppings

emilyl

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
I am brand new to having chickens. We got them 1.5 weeks ago and kept them cooped up for the first week to get them used to their new home. It is a small coop (a run about 4x5 feet, and a coop on the second floor). On Saturday, we opened the door, clipped their wings, and they started ranging in the yard (which is quite large). On Monday, I noticed that the smallest of the three chickens didn't come down out of the coop. After a couple of hours, I coaxed her out with sugar water. That day, in particular, she was lethargic, sleepy, and I noticed blood in poop (I assume it is hers). She has been better since Monday (it is now Thursday); she is still sleepier than the others (closes her eyes quite a bit), but she gets up and out of the coop with the other girls and spends the day outside from about 7 am- 7:30 pm. However, I still see blood in the droppings. I've been taking the droppings out of the coop every day (to ensure they aren't getting eaten or picked at). I've asked around and here is what people have suggested might be wrong: traumatized from her new life (clipped wings, etc.) and is in shock; cocci; worms; Marek's disease (unlikely); or it could be nothing. I wouldn't be worried if it weren't for the blood in the stool. I haven't separated her and none of the birds are laying yet (will lay starting in mid to late June). I ordered Sulmet and I switched from Organic grower feed to medicated grower feed on Monday. I would prefer not to treat if I don't have to, but I don't want sick chickens, either.

I prefer to use corid for cocci it kills all 9 strains of cocci while other meds only kill SOME strains. you can get corid at the feed store. I've seen it save a lot of chicks. if they were mine I'd use the corid. I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck

well with the symptoms it does sound like coccidosis. my best bet would be that's what's going on here. you can look up coccidosis and I think you will agree.

Can chickens have blood in their droppings and it not be cocci?

Yes, it can be many things, but coccidiosis is probably the most common cause of blood in poop. Sulmet only works on two, maybe three (can't remember) of the more common types of coccidia that chickens get, so you should look into getting some Corid (amprolium ).

Should I not treat with Sulmet, or since Sulmet is on the way, treat with Sulmet and Corid (they were sold out of Sulmet locally, so I had to order it, I'm not sure if Corid is available locally)? Can I treat with both? Thanks for all the help!

Can chickens have blood in their droppings and it not be cocci?

Should I not treat with Sulmet, or since Sulmet is on the way, treat with Sulmet and Corid (they were sold out of Sulmet locally, so I had to order it, I'm not sure if Corid is available locally)? Can I treat with both? Thanks for all the help!
Do not give both at the same time!!!! Realsis and Casportpony are correct that the Corid is the drug of choice as it gets them all. The medicated feed won't do much good if it is cocci as the dose of the amprolium in it is a bit less than what you would be giving with the Corid mixed in their water. Something else to think about...Sulmet is a very harsh drug to give before trying Corid. It can cause bleeding and pain for your chickens because it is so harsh. It's a great drug to have on hand, but would not be my first choice to treat coccidiosis. Save that for something else or a cocci that is resistant to the amprolium. I would suggest going to a farm store or Tractor supply and getting the Corid. It's a 20% powder put I have seen the dosage on BYC to use in their water.

I agree it is a coccidiosis you have going on. One bloody poop from each one, I wouldn't worry about. It could be the lining shedding. More than one and with the hunching going on....yeah most probably cocci.

Back
Top Bottom