Sleepy duckling not eating much HELP!

Hmm switching to the duck crumbles was a good call. She is smaller but does she seem to be growing (you said they’re about a week old, how long have you had them). I know when we first got ducks last year our khaki Campbell (May she RIP) grew slower than our others (Rouen and pekin), but I think that was more bc of her breed.

If she seems to be growing (maybe track her weight) then she could just need a little time.

You could try something like save-a chick/nutridrench electrolytes/sugar water t see if that helps boost her energy. Maybe let them have some “swim time” in shallow water too (supervised and ready to get warmed up quickly) and see how they she does.

She would def do better with one that doesn't beat her up and cause stress. Yeah 92 is too warm good you got the temp down. How is hse acting do they huddle under the heat lamp or are they looking comfortable?
Thanks! I will look into getting a few more. They have been acting pretty good! I noticed they seemed a bit hot before I put the thermometer in there and were stretching their legs out, but they look much happier now. They kinda change their positions and they look quite comfortable.

Last edited:
Just put the B complex liquid on the scrambled egg much better than trying to do it orally for one so tiny. Just make sure Sage gets it and not Nutmeg. Although some in their water too for Nutmeg would be a good idea. something like this.
8AFFB8E6-980F-4D46-B4BB-0F9C04A19524.jpeg

Hey yall Sage is doing worse. Shes struggling to walk now, and doesn't really want to eat egg from my hand anymore. I have started getting her out and opening her beak and putting some in there. She gladly gobbles it up that way. I even got some of the crumbles wet and had her eat some of those too. She won't eat the egg if it has B complex on it so I ended up putting drops in her beak...which she flung right out immediately. I did get SOME in her though and put more in her water. Then fact is...shes going downhill....and I don't think she will make it....is there anything else I should try?? Its been super hard for me watching her go through this and I just wish I could save her but am not sure if I can anymore. :hit 😣😰 I feel so awful.
Sometimes they just don’t make it. When we got chicks we had 1 go down FAST. Like I noticed that morning it wasn’t growing like the others and just “off” and by afternoon she was gone. Just take comfort in knowing you did all you could. If she makes it, a miracle! If not, I’d def rec getting a friend or 2 for your remaining duck.

Your doing all you can, I know it's hard to watch and feel so helpless. Have you ever heard of failure to thrive? it happens in poultry it can even happen in humans. Best thing you can do is keep up with what you are doing and pray she makes it. What is going on with sage could very well be genetic since she is so young. I'm sorry other than support for her I'm not sure there is much else you can do.
I wish you could have gotten a couple of ducklings for Nutmeg though I don't think the chicks are going to bring comfort to her as a duckling would.

Maybe you can give her a deeper container of water, that is just big enough for her to put her head but not body into, and leave it available in her brooder for her to experiment with.

She might just need practice, and since you keep taking away the deeper water she has very few chances to practice.

(I'm not a duck expert, so my idea could be all wrong. You might want to check with @Miss Lydia before trying it.)

Did her sticking her head underwater not help with her nares?I agree with @NatJ she def needs a bowl to stick her head in to clean out those nares. I think I showed you a picture of what I made for mine. Or you could try using tweezers and pick it out but as small as she is I don’t think that would work

Attachments

• AF9C1C46-A901-4ADE-9A5B-30763DA65BBE.jpeg
    AF9C1C46-A901-4ADE-9A5B-30763DA65BBE.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 0
Did her sticking her head underwater not help with her nares?I agree with @NatJ she def needs a bowl to stick her head in to clean out those nares. I think I showed you a picture of what I made for mine. Or you could try using tweezers and pick it out but as small as she is I don’t think that would work
yeah. I'm trying to make one of those but I can't find our utility knife. I'll have to go buy one soon. No putting her head under didn't help her nares since she just seemed to inhale it through her mouth. :he:hitIts so frustrating and saddening.

Back
Top Bottom