Sleepy lady!

caineyboi

Hatching
Apr 14, 2016
I have a Sussex who sleeps on her feet whenever she gets the chance...
She doesn't seem to be in pain, doesn't seem to eat much but doesn't look or feel skinny, crop isn't abnormal, stopped laying, and is generally depressed looking.
Her poops aren't loose or overly wet or bloody.
When I catch her she doesn't give much resistance at all unlike previous occasions and doesn't have any visible injuries or areas of apparent soreness.
Recently and regularly treated for mites, lice, worms, fleas and ticks.
Have regularly found her facing the corner of the pen, (seems to prefer it if she can bother to move to the corner) otherwise will seem to always face a wall or fence and rarely faces the middle of the pen or laying house or open space.
Free ranges everyday and on occasion relishes the chance to scratch through the neighbours horse yard for treats in the straw and manure, and this is the only time I see her active, all other time is spent sitting facing the fence, corner or wall, when out ranging she just sits in the shade and sleeps near the pen fence.
I have 13 other hens who seem fine with the exception of one with a pasty butt. (Currently being treated)
Also have a rooster that arrived around 3-4 weeks ago and has since fertilised eggs I currently have in an incubator. Was told he was treated for mareks and fed medicated food as a chick for coccidiosis as was the sick lady Sussex.
She's a very sweet girl and I'd hate to loose her. Any help appreciated.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I see you have posted in the emergency section already. Did you try the suggestions that Eggsesive left for you? Is she still the same now? It seems you have tried or checked the things that I would have pointed out ie mites/lice etc. Did this behaivour only start when you introduced the new roo?

Good luck with your Sussex I hope she comes round soon :fl

welcome-byc.gif

So sorry you are having problems. I see a post saying that you already posted in the emergency thread...good luck to you with your hen!

Last edited:
Sounds like she is fighting off some health concern. If your new rooster was treated for Mareks, survivors of that disease will be carriers for life.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom