Sleepy, lethargic five month old Polish hen

GTNB

Hatching
Jul 22, 2017
I have a small Polish hen, "Lola," who was given to me about a month ago. We got two more similar aged hens a few days later, so there are three of them. They are living in a barn temporarily while their permanent coop is being built, and have access all day to a grassy area outside, and can move in and out freely. They seem to have bonded well, and the three wander around together, and have slept on the perch together since the first night. For the last few days, however, Lola has seemed increasingly lethargic, and tonight she seems to be having trouble staying awake. She keeps lying down. She ate a couple of sunflower seeds, and had a drink, and lets me pick her up without much of a fight. She feels really thin. Her eyes are bright when they're open, her feathers look neat and tidy, it's just her behaviour that is leading me to think something is definitely wrong. She isn't pecking around in the grass like she was, and doesn't seem alert like the other two little hens. None of them have laid eggs yet. We have had warm, dry weather for months, and today it rained heavily. She seems a lot weaker today. Any ideas from anyone? She's a sweet little girl.

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 9.14.17 AM.png
CORID.jpg

Welcome to BYC.
My first guess would be she is showing signs of Coccidiosis.
I would start treatment with Corid ASAP.

Thanks for your suggestion. Is it available from a vet or a farm supply store? Should I treat all of the girls?

Farm supply store.
I would treat everyone.
If one is showing signs now they others may be right behind.

Thanks very much; I'll get some first thing in the morning. I really appreciate your help. Should I leave her with the other two overnight, or separate her?

Leave her, unless they are picking on her.
Stress will only make her worse faster.

Make sure you do not give any vitamins while using Corid.
Save them for after you finish Corid.

They sell Corid in both liquid and powder form.
If you buy the liquid..give her a straight to the beak dose first thing in the morning...just 3 drops.

I had her poo tested today and it turns out to be Capillariasis. I got some meds (Ivermectin) but I fear that she's already too weak to pull through. She ate a little but didn't want to drink. Any ideas for a high calorie wet food? Thanks.

I had her poo tested today and it turns out to be Capillariasis. I got some meds (Ivermectin) but I fear that she's already too weak to pull through. She ate a little but didn't want to drink. Any ideas for a high calorie wet food? Thanks.
Hair worms...
Did the vet give you Ivermectin?
You are going to treat the whole flock correct?
See if you can tube feed her.

Last edited:
Capillaria annulata and Capillaria contorta are the most damaging species. They can seriously harm the lining of the crop and the esophagus, especially in turkeys end pheasants, but also in chicken up to 4 months old. The lining of the crop and the esophagus becomes inflamed and swollen, which can make swallowing impossible for affected birds. Fatalities are frequent in cases of heavy infections.
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2649&Itemid=2938

Back
Top Bottom