Slight prolapse? HELP!* Pictures *

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
I just let the birds out for the morning, and I noticed this hen with a soft shell hanging from her bum. I’ve dealt with a broken egg in a hen before and knew to gently pull it out, except now there appears to be like tissue outside her vent? Is this like a prolapse? She’s also quite dirty with pop back there. She’s acting normal and was actually difficult to catch. What do I do now? Did I hurt her further?

Also some background info, she’s about a year and a half old, she is on layer feed with a tiny bit of scratch grains, and has oyster shells on the side. We moved two weeks ago, so this is still new ish to my flock. She lives with 14 other hens and some ducks. I’ve noticed a few soft shelled eggs lately in the coop and egg production has decreased since we moved, but several of the hens seem to be molting

Attachments

• DDE61AF1-5847-4C99-A700-E4FA70729D9A.jpeg
    DDE61AF1-5847-4C99-A700-E4FA70729D9A.jpeg
    601.9 KB · Views: 19
  • D94CC359-47DE-4480-886F-23A2573C8D2D.jpeg
    D94CC359-47DE-4480-886F-23A2573C8D2D.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 6
  • BDCA7B44-DDEA-451E-8B08-7E706695E8D3.jpeg
    BDCA7B44-DDEA-451E-8B08-7E706695E8D3.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 6
  • E200313A-9D7C-4F56-9472-AE69A8A71B78.jpeg
    E200313A-9D7C-4F56-9472-AE69A8A71B78.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 90B9377A-C624-4821-B501-BD9DB451565D.jpeg
    90B9377A-C624-4821-B501-BD9DB451565D.jpeg
    631.2 KB · Views: 5
It does look like a prolapse, probably caused by the shell-less egg.
Keep the tissue moist and gently try to push it back it, you may need to hold it for a bit.
Give her calcium citrate +D3 once a day until you get the prolapse fixed.
Also try giving her a bath just around the vent to clean her up.

It does look like a prolapse, probably caused by the shell-less egg.
Keep the tissue moist and gently try to push it back it, you may need to hold it for a bit.
Give her calcium citrate +D3 once a day until you get the prolapse fixed.
Also try giving her a bath just around the vent to clean her up.
Ok thank you. I’ll do that. Just one tablet? I have the 600mg tablets from previous needs with hens. Oh and what do I keep the tissue moist with? Water? Or a certain cream or oil? I know not to use olive oil etc since it will get rancid and that’s not good.

Attachments

• EB893F1D-DB92-4640-A1CA-8E50E6C9D5FB.jpeg
    EB893F1D-DB92-4640-A1CA-8E50E6C9D5FB.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 5
Ok thank you. I’ll do that. Just one tablet? I have the 600mg tablets from previous needs with hens. Oh and what do I keep the tissue moist with? Water? Or a certain cream or oil? I know not to use olive oil etc since it will get rancid and that’s not good.
That's exactly what you need, one tablet once a day.
To keep the tissue moist you can use honey or an ointment.

@Wyorp Rock
@azygous
I’m so sorry I feel like I’m always tagging y’all. But as you can see from my post above my hen is having some issues. I pushed the prolapse back in a few times and it has come back out a few. I set up a crate in my coop, and I put her in there with food and water and pushed the prolapse in one more time, and I left hoping she wouldn’t be more stressed. Should I give her some antibiotics? I have some amoxicillin left over from previous needs, (I had an egg break inside a different hen and I needed it badly. If I were to give it to her? How long should I?

You were able to pull the membrane out?

I'd get the Calcium into her and keep the tissue moist with ointment or honey.

She may have another egg to expel, hard to know.
Keeping her separated until the tissue goes back in is good, you don't want the others to pick at her and damage the vent.

Read Carol's (Azygous) article, it covers a lot of what you need to do.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

You were able to pull the membrane out?

I'd get the Calcium into her and keep the tissue moist with ointment or honey.

She may have another egg to expel, hard to know.
Keeping her separated until the tissue goes back in is good, you don't want the others to pick at her and damage the vent.

Read Carol's (Azygous) article, it covers a lot of what you need to do.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
Yes I pulled the membrane out and gave her the calcium. I will for sure do that thank you.

So I just went out to check on her, and she is in the crate pacing and the prolapse has not come back out. She’s is very upset she is in the crate and when I shut the coop door so I could look at her, I let her go for a few moments and she went scratching around in the shavings doing normal chicken things. Can I let her out with the rest of the flock now?

So I just went out to check on her, and she is in the crate pacing and the prolapse has not come back out. She’s is very upset she is in the crate and when I shut the coop door so I could look at her, I let her go for a few moments and she went scratching around in the shavings doing normal chicken things. Can I let her out with the rest of the flock now?
I would keep her separate for a few more hours to make sure the prolapse doesn't come out, if it doesn't she can go back with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom