Slipped achilles tendon (both legs)

Twizzle

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2015
Hi, I'm looking for advice - I have a 5 day old chick that was given to me as someone thought it had splayed legs (it was given to me on day 2I made it a hobble, but there was no improvement and is was hoping around on it's hocks. After much research, I realised that it had slipped tendons and I followed the advice I found and put them back into place, taped them and made it a chick chair which it has been sitting in for the last 24hours. The swelling on its hocks has definitely gone down, but I'm unsure what to do next. I can't find info on what to do after the chick chair! Also, is not really eating or drinking on its own. I'm not sure how much 5 day old chicks should eat, or if I should be giving it anything in particular. I'm currently dipping is beak into sugary water and it will drink then and I'm offering it chick starter crumbs mixed with some plain yoghurt that I'm force feeding or. I open is beak and drop it in. Once the food is in the chicks mouth, the chick eats it.

Any help or advice very gratefully received!

Any advice anyone? Struggling a bit here as the chick send to be getting weaker - it sleeps loads. It made it through the night and I've been taking it out of its chair and holding it with its feet the floor. However, the tendons slip out within minutes. Also, how much should I be feeding and how often? It feels very bony... Anyone out there with some experience? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom